Careers for Accounting Majors
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Managerial Accountant (CMA)
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Tax Consultant
- Government: IRS or FBI agent, forensic accountant
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Trusted Business Advisor
Accounting degrees aren’t only for accountants. A degree in accounting has a broad range of uses, including careers in business law, economics, forensic accounting, and marketing.
Starting Salary 1
The typical starting salary for a CPA (or CPA eligible graduate) is between $50,000-$65,000, depending on the size of the firm.
Job Titles of People with Accounting Degrees
- Tax Associate, RSM McGladrey
- Chief Operating Officer, National Trust Community Investment Corporation
- Managing Director, Beacon Hill Financial
- Corporate Director of Accounting, Hostmark Hospitality Group
- President and Chief Operating Officer, Financial Accounting Standards Board
- Audit Partner, Ernst & Young, Retail, Consumer Products Practice
- Vice President and Group Controller, CNN Worldwide
- Managing Partner, KPMG, Raleigh, N.C.
- Director of TV and Cable Productions, Walt Disney Studios
- Treasurer and Controller, Penske Corporation
Note: This information is current for the 2022-23 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.