Meet the Staff
- James “Woody” MorwoodLead Campus Pastor
Woody Morwood has been involved in young adult and student ministries since 1992 in both the local church and university setting. His primary role at APU is being involved in the lives of undergraduate students. Woody is all about relationships with God, His Word, and the people he finds himself in community with, and his passion is to encourage and challenge undergraduate students to grow deeply as disciples. He preaches periodically in morning chapel and regularly at Wednesday night Kaleo chapel, and leads a small group, a SALT team, and continually meets with students for pastoral counseling and support. Woody also has the amazing privilege of working with the great staff in the Offices of the Campus Pastors and Chapel Programs in order to foster an overall spiritual climate on campus. His greatest joys in life are his family (wife Juli, children Kyla and Ryan, and their Labrador Casey) as well as playing outside in God’s creation: surfing, snowboarding, rafting, and backpacking.
- Doctor of Ministry, Azusa Pacific University
- Master of Divinity (equivalency), Azusa Pacific University
- Master of Arts in Theology, Point Loma Nazarene University
- B.A. in Biblical Studies, Point Loma Nazarene University
- Kelly RothExecutive Director, Pastor of Operations and Staff
Kelly Roth has been active in ministry since 1994. She is ordained in the Free Methodist church and served for 20 years as the executive pastor and worship pastor at Cucamonga Christian Fellowship. Kelly previously worked as a professional studio musician for many years and loves to sing. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Music Education at Azusa Pacific and continued on to earn her Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership. She serves as a Soul Quest chaplain to graduate students in APU’s School of Music. With her love for music and leadership, Kelly developed a passion for helping people connect to God and to one another. In her free time, Kelly enjoys reading, singing, creating art, and writing. She loves to be outdoors as much as possible, especially with her family and friends.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership, Azusa Pacific University
- Coba CanalesAssociate Campus Pastor for Discipleship Ministries
Coba Canales has been in ministry since 2006 and has served in the local church, parachurch, and university setting, including a year as director of diversity programs at Vanguard University. He loves working on ministry teams and has a passion for seeing every student transformed through intentional discipleship alongside peers and mentors. Coba and his wife Drea have two children, Joseph and Ruth.
- Masters of Divinity, Fuller Theological Seminary
- B.A. in Biblical Studies, Azusa Pacific University
- Ta’Tyana LeonardAssociate Campus Pastor for Preaching and Spiritual Programming
Ta’Tyana has served in ministry since 2004. She is a licensed minister and has served as Director of Ministries for Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Los Angeles. Her heart’s passion is to help others live in their true worth and calling. Ta’Tyana is married to Adam, a High School math teacher and coach, and enjoys a good nap, pizza, and watching sports.
- Masters of Arts in Christian Ministry and Leadership, Talbot School of Theology
- Master of Divinity (Equivalency), Azusa Pacific University
- B.S. in Business, Oregon State University
- Jannet GuzmanAssistant Campus Pastor
Jannet Guzman has served in different roles within the Office of the Campus Pastors since 2008. As a direct support to the lead campus pastor, she currently serves in various areas of campus ministry, including chapel leadership, mentoring and discipling students, coordinating interns, and pastoral counseling. When she’s not at APU, she likes to travel, spend time with family and friends, and enjoys having deep conversations over a good cup of coffee.
- Master of Divinity, Azusa Pacific University
- B.A. in Graphic Design, Azusa Pacific University
- Richard MillerSpiritual Mentoring Coordinator
Richard has served in ministry since 1997, working primarily with junior high, high school, and college students. He joined the Office for Discipleship Ministries in August 2015. Along with providing leadership for APU’s men’s spiritual discipleship program, Richard is also the lead pastor of a recent church plant in the city of Fullerton. He and his wife, Mackenzie, have three children: Graham, Asher and Avery.
- Master of Divinity, Azusa Pacific University
- B.A. in Religious Studies, California State University, Long Beach
Administrative Support Staff
- Jennifer WrightExecutive Assistant to the Campus Pastor
- Kelly OwensAdministrative Assistant, Office of the Campus Pastors
- Arissa AlvarezAdministrative Assistant, Office for Discipleship Ministries