Friday, February 2, 2018
Conference Kick-off: 7-8 p.m.
Join us for a Friday night conference kick-off at Yogurtland in Azusa! We’re coming together to connect as a department and to welcome visiting colleagues and students. Whether or not you’re joining us on Saturday, come hang out! All are welcome.
Saturday, February 3, 2018
Check-in and Registration: 8:15–8:45 a.m.
Opening Session: 8:45–9:30 a.m.
Wyant Lecture Hall (Wilden 111)
Paper Presentation Session: 9:45–10:35 a.m.
Public Relations and Diversity (Wilden 102)
- Black Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter: Madison McQueen, Westmont College
- Combating the White Savior Complex in Public Relations: Sarah Giovannini, Lauren Peterson, and Kevin McMichael, Biola University
- Asian Demographic in Public Relations Industry: Alisa Ohara, Biola University
- Brand Responsibility: Elevated Public Relations: McKenna Boen, Biola University
Intercultural Journalism (Wilden 103)
- Native American Populations and Press Representation: Cynthia Arroyo, Azusa Pacific University
- Challenging Central American Journalism: Noe Sotelo, Azusa Pacific University
- Citizen Journalism Impacts Job Security: Arianna Shell, Azusa Pacific University
Intercultural Communication and Conflict Resolution (Wilden 105)
- Building Cultural Bridges: Jasmine Wang, Azusa Pacific University
- In Common Culture: Katie O’Malley, Pepperdine University
- Conflict Management Using Narrative Theory: Courtney Correll, Azusa Pacific University
Gender Communication and Media Influence (Wilden 229)
- The Rise of Women in Tech and Startup: Morgan Lawrence, Azusa Pacific University
- A Female Dominated Industry, Led Only by Men: Cristina Schmitter, Biola University
- Changing Media and Changing Minds: Exposure and Attitudes Towards Homosexuality: Gabby Gonta, Pepperdine University
Professional Development (Wilden 231)
- The Structure of a Thoughtful Leader: Amy Flores, Biola University
- A Life Lived in Small Groups: Meg Van Rijn, Azusa Pacific University
- How Professional Communication Affects Your Future: Tanna Brinkman, Azusa Pacific University
- Cool and Warm Colors on Instagram: Kevin McMichael, Biola University
Coffee Break: 10:40–10:55 a.m.
Faculty Workshop Session: 11 a.m.–12:15 p.m.
Hot Topics in Relational Communication (Wilden 231)
- Carolyn Kim, Ph.D., Biola University
- Ryan R. Montague, Ph.D., Azusa Pacific University
Leadership and the Multi-Generational Workplace (Wilden 102)
- Lisa Dunne, Ph.D., San Diego Christian College
- Ryan T. Hartwig, Ph.D., Azusa Pacific University
Hot Topics in Public Relations (Wilden 105)
- Marc Hutchins, MFA, San Diego Christian College
- Allison Oster, M.A., Azusa Pacific University
Hot Topics in Journalism (Wilden 229)
- Theresa de los Santos, Ph.D., Pepperdine University
- Kent Walls, M.A., Azusa Pacific University
Lunch: 12:30-1:30 p.m.
Fermanian Conference Center/Patio (Wilden 119)
Alumni Speed Networking: 1:45–3 p.m.
Faculty Social: 1:45–3 p.m.
Closing Remarks and Ice Cream Social: 3 p.m.