Jerry Ruth, Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor, Department of Global Studies, Sociology, and TESOL
Phone: (323) 919-4560
Jerry Ruth, Ph.D., discovered his love of teaching when he began leading adult Sunday school while stationed with the Air Force in Fairbanks, Alaska. After leaving the military, he worked as an engineer in the aerospace industry, but continued teaching as an adjunct faculty member for Cerro Coso Community College and Chapman University in California. Jerry and his wife, Heidi, (a graduate of APU’s M.A. in TESOL program) taught English to university students in China from 2004 – 2017; he has since returned to the U.S. and is teaching ESL students in Nevada. Jerry completed his doctoral studies in Intercultural Education, and the focus of his dissertation was the use of communicative language teaching methods in Chinese classrooms.
- Ph.D., Intercultural Education, Biola University
- M.A., TESOL, Azusa Pacific University
- M.S., Systems Management, University of Southern California
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Department of Global Studies, Sociology, and TESOL
- Language Acquisition
- Motivation in Language Learning
- TESL 530 – Intercultural Communication and Language Teaching
- TESL 550 – Second-language Pedagogy II
- TESL 570 – Second-language Assessment