4+1 B.A./M.A. Option
Fifth-year Master’s for APU Undergraduates
Current APU undergraduate students may apply to the Master of Arts in English fifth-year option. In this 4+1 program design, you can complete your bachelor’s degree and, in just one additional year, your master’s degree. Admitted students can take up to 9 units of 500-level graduate coursework during their senior year, finishing the remaining 21 units for the master’s degree over the next academic year (e.g., 6-9 units in the fall term, 6-9 units in the spring term, and 3-6 units in the summer term).
Benefits for APU Students
- As a senior, you can take up to 3 graduate courses (9 units) for both undergraduate and graduate credit.
- Your graduate application fee is waived.
- There’s no need to request transcripts.
Applying to the 4+1 Program
During the application process, you will submit:
- The graduate application for admission
- A brief résumé
- A writing sample, which could be a critical essay or research paper from an undergraduate class
- Two recommendations from references with knowledge of your academic ability and potential
For more information about the 4+1 B.A./M.A. option, contact Emily Griesinger, Ph.D., program director, at email@example.com.
Note: This information is current for the 2018-19 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.