Public Administration Careers
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the federal government employs more than 175,000 managers, the state governments employ more than 125,000, and local governments employ more than 281,000. In California, employment of social and community service managers is projected to grow 18 percent between 2014 and 2024.
Job seekers holding an MPA degree can find employment in a wide variety of sectors and occupations. Common careers for MPA graduates are in nonprofit management, health administration or health policy, and community development.
- Urban planning and development director
- Social service director
- Parks and recreation director
- Police commissioner
- News reporter/analyst
- Representative for the United Nations
- CEO or COO of a company or a nonprofit
- Policy manager
- Local government administrator
- Public housing manager
- Economic development director
- Public relations consultant
- Foreign services officer
- City manager
Note: This information is current for the 2019-20 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.