APU offers the TESOL Certificates in three distinct formats: on campus, online, and field-based. The on-campus program maintains an international focus with about half of the students coming from abroad to take classes on the Azusa campus. The field-based program is tailored to meet the needs of Christian professionals teaching abroad. Full-time teachers working outside the United States complete their degree by taking courses in an intensive, one-week format.
APU's TESOL programs blend compassionate Christian service with strong academic preparation and practical training in language teaching. Project-based coursework engages the student in a variety of practical tasks, allowing students to:
- Formulate a working philosophy of language learning and teaching.
- Teach English grammar and pronunciation.
- Organize student interactions, activities, and tasks.
- Understand the influence of social and cultural differences on language development.
- Engage in practice-teaching experiences and student-teacher observation
- Plan, implement, and assessstudent achievement.
- Develop a teacher portfolio that demonstrates their competence in teaching English as a second language.
APU provides housing resources through the Office of Asset Management. Asset Management manages Azusa Pacific University’s non-campus rental properties reserved for graduate, international and ALCI graduate, married undergraduate, other non-traditional students, and faculty/staff, as well as maintains up-to-date listings of housing opportunities for the larger APU and local communities. Please contact Asset Management for additional information about available housing options near APU.