Become a Skilled Animator and Storyteller with an Animation Degree
Animated films are some of the most widely loved stories in our world today, and Azusa Pacific University's Bachelor of Arts in Animation and Visual Effects will prepare you to make a difference in an influential industry. Hone your artistic ability in this animation degree program with classes covering animation’s many facets, and cultivate your narrative techniques with a comprehensive cinematic arts curriculum. Learn in a small classroom environment under caring faculty-mentors who work in animation and entertainment, and take advantage of strategic internships in the industry.
Gain Experience Working in Nearby Los Angeles
The greater Los Angeles area has the highest employment level for animation, and APU’s location offers the opportunity to immediately plug into the filmmaking culture and industry. The Department of Cinematic Arts boasts a strong network of alumni working at major studios, television networks, and agencies, including Walt Disney Studios and DreamWorks Animation. Each animation student will complete at least one internship, providing valuable hands-on experience.
- Access APU’s state-of-the-art animation and gaming lab as well as other campus facilities, like a green screen and soundstage, to bring your ideas to life.
- Participate in the annual Animation Expo in Burbank, where more than 6,000 professional animators, animation studio executives, recruiters, and art students gather for presentations, workshops, demonstrations, and networking.
- Fully engage questions about the interplay between faith, culture, and the arts in a thoughtful community.
- Receive a well-rounded education that includes various technical animation and drawing courses, as well as courses in storytelling and the cinematic arts.
- Benefit from proximity to the entertainment hub of Los Angeles, which translates to guest speakers and adjunct professors who are actively working on exciting projects, as well as internships in the field.
- Enjoy belonging to an innovative and collaborative community of visual artists, actors, singers, musicians, and filmmakers.
- Produce a short 2D or 3D animated work as your capstone project in addition to your professional portfolio.
Explore Faith and Influence Culture
Pursuing a major in APU’s College of Music and the Arts means exploring the intersection of faith and the arts with diverse individuals, fully engaging in various media to tackle some of life’s most complex questions. Learn from faculty with experience living out their Christian faith in the industry as they offer wisdom and mentorship, and create bonds with like-minded students pursuing artistic careers. “Those who tell the stories rule society,” said Plato. At APU, you will find a thriving community of creative students and faculty sharing the goal of becoming great artists who can influence the entertainment industry, and in turn, culture, through stories about beauty, redemption, and what it means to be human.
Prepare for Animation Careers
In the final year of your animation degree program, two courses will focus on preparing you as a competitive candidate for animation positions. The Capstone Project in Cinematic Arts allows you to integrate the concepts learned throughout the program to create a short 2D or 3D animated work with original sound and content. The second course, Portfolio Review and Preparation, will teach you how to present your work in the best possible light through opportunities for peer and professional review.
Is This Major Right for You?
You’re an animation and visual effects major if you…
- Are passionate about telling stories
- Are always sketching or drawing
- Enjoy creating characters and worlds
- Have a strong visual sense
- Always think of creative ideas
- Have technical abilities with creative software