Guidelines and Policies
Azusa Pacific University reserves the right to refuse admittance if policy is not followed.
General Commencement Policies
- All children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult during the ceremony.
- No alcohol or controlled substances will be permitted at Azusa Pacific University commencement ceremonies nor any commencement-related receptions or events.
- No persons under the influence of alcohol or any other controlled substance will be permitted at Azusa Pacific University ceremonies or any commencement-related receptions or events.
- No comfort or emotional support animals will be allowed into Azusa Pacific University ceremonies or any commencement-related receptions or events. Learn more about the Service Animal Policy.
- All caps (mortarboards) and gowns must be Azusa Pacific University-approved for all commencement ceremonies. All cords and medallions must be from organizations or honors officially recognized by Azusa Pacific University.
- Clothing and adornments (e.g., hats, leis) must not be politically charged and must not use profanity or discriminatory language.
- Azusa Pacific University is not responsible for any damage or loss to personal property.
- Anything perceived as a weapon must not be carried or worn.
- Purses, backpacks, or other large personal items must not be carried by graduates.
- No noise makers, confetti, or pyrotechnic devices will be permitted and may not be used in the Felix Event Center.
- No balloons are permitted into any Azusa Pacific University commencement ceremonies.
- No items (food products, beach balls, etc.) shall be thrown at any time in the Felix Event Center or Cougar Athletic Stadium.
Cap (Mortarboard) Policy
- Graduates must wear the approved Azusa Pacific University mortarboard or tam. No other hat or head adornment may be worn (e.g., baseball cap).
- Personal décor on Azusa Pacific University approved caps (mortarboards) is allowed within the following parameters:
- Caps must not contain any offensive language or the perception that offensive language is being used.
- Décor must not hang over any part of the board.
- Décor must not dangle down from the top of the mortarboard and/or obstruct the person’s head, face, view of the person, or the view of others in any way.
- Cap décor must not contain any political figures or political language promoting a personal opinion on political issues.
Graduates must wear the approved Azusa Pacific University gowns and abide by the following guidelines:
- Gowns must extend beyond the knee.
- Clothing must be worn under the approved Azusa Pacific University gown.
- No decoration may be added to the approved Azusa Pacific University gown.
- No accessory or clothing may be added to the approved Azusa Pacific University gown (beyond the approved cords).
- All cords and medallions must be from organizations or honors officially recognized by Azusa Pacific University.
- Military who are current active duty personnel may wear their uniform in lieu of Azusa Pacific University approved commencement regalia.
- Stoles include small pockets for cell phones, keys, etc. Azusa Pacific University is not responsible for any damage or loss to personal property.
Spring 2019 May 4
Winter 2019 December 14