The challenges posed by COVID-19 have impacted all of us. Our plans reflect a shared responsibility for the health and safety of the APU Community and a desire to provide accurate and up-to-date information regarding the transition to remote learning for the Fall 2020 semester, announced by President Ferguson on July 22. In this message, we provide insight into our investment in and preparation for remote learning this semester, as well as an update on fees and housing.
Remote Learning Experience and Investment
APU has substantial expertise in remote learning, with online academic programs offered regularly since 2000. In order to enrich your remote learning experience this fall, APU has made significant investments in up-to-date technologies and extended student educational support.
We are deeply committed to providing a distinctive APU experience that prioritizes rigorous academics, rich student support, intentional faith integration, and meaningful connections between faculty and students. To elevate faculty/student engagement, all classrooms will be equipped with additional technologies, including cameras and microphones. Faculty are spending the summer preparing quality coursework for remote learning that reflects our institutional commitment to academic excellence. We prioritize classroom adaptations that mirror changes unfolding in today’s work settings. The ability to be flexible and adaptable to changes in the marketplace and technology are highly sought-after skills by employers.
Academic Affairs and Student Affairs are also expanding and targeting services to support your success in remote learning. On Wednesday, July 29, you will receive a communication that addresses Student Wellness and Success. Look for details regarding specific services and helpful tips to start Fall strong.
Tuition funds course progression toward your degree completion. Our additional investments in your Fall 2020 remote learning experience support your educational continuity. While the cost of tuition does not decrease in a remote learning environment, we recognize that certain on-campus services are not needed. The university will waive the following fees for undergraduate students for the Fall 2020 semester:
- Waiver of $100 new student orientation fee*
- Waiver of $40 parent/guest Welcome Days fee*
- Waiver of the $290 University Services fee
- Waiver of the $125 Parking fee
- Waiver of the $300 Freshman Parking fee
- Evaluation of course fees on a course- and program-specific basis
If your course fees are reduced, that will be reflected on your student bill.
*Applies to new students
For your convenience, parking and dining fees were not placed on any student account. Housing fees will only appear on your account for Fall 2020 if granted an exception to live on campus as described below.
Although the majority of students will study away from campus, Residence Life has developed a thorough plan to provide student housing for those with extenuating circumstances or for those receiving education in professions deemed essential to the nation’s recovery from the pandemic, including healthcare, that have necessary in person components.
Residence Life guidelines are as follows:
- Residence halls (Trinity, Engstrom, and Adams) and dining halls will remain closed for the Fall semester.
- Students already approved for a Summer 2020 housing extension, based on extenuating circumstances and enrolled for Fall, may apply to continue to have on-campus housing accommodations. Please review and complete the Fall Housing Request by July 31, which includes APU Student Health Center COVID-19 health and safety guidance.
- Students in programs leading to essential professions, including healthcare, who already have Fall on-campus housing assignments may maintain residence in an APU apartment. Please review and complete the Fall Housing Request by July 31, which includes APU Student Health Center COVID-19 health and safety guidance. Anticipate communication from your program and Residence Life in the coming days to provide more information.
- Students in need of housing for Fall 2020 due to extenuating circumstances may petition for residence in an APU apartment. Please review and complete the Fall Housing Request by July 31, which includes APU Student Health Center COVID-19 health and safety guidance.
- All students approved for Fall 2020 on-campus living arrangements will be required to sign a Housing License Addendum, a waiver, and other legal provisions.
Additional answers to other important questions regarding move-in, assignments, and other information will follow from Residence Life soon.
Ongoing Communication and Contacts
We will continue to provide scheduled communications to keep you fully informed. Please note that forthcoming guidelines from the county and state may require us to reevaluate our plans. You are also welcome to contact our offices with questions you may have.
- For academic program questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For academic advising and success coaching, please contact email@example.com.
- For course registration, student accounts, or financial aid, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For student affairs, please contact email@example.com.
The Offices of the Provost, Student Affairs, and Enrollment Management