APU’s School of Education offers three start times throughout the year—fall, spring, and summer. The upcoming application deadlines are:
Fall 2019: July 31, 2019
Spring 2020: November 11, 2019
Summer 2020: March 30, 2020
The university graduate and program admission requirements below must be met before an application is considered complete.
- Graduate application for admission
- $45 nonrefundable application fee
- Official transcripts from all institutions leading to and awarding the applicant’s bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and all postbaccalaureate study
An official transcript is one that Azusa Pacific University receives unopened in an envelope sealed by the former institution and that bears the official seal of the college or university. A cumulative minimum 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) grade-point average on the posted degree is required for regular admission status. Provisional admittance may be granted to individuals with a lower GPA if competency can be shown through multiple measures.
- Three recommendations that assess competence and character. Appropriate recommendations include those who have supervised the applicant’s leadership or teaching experience with children/youth in public or private settings, an employer who directly supervised the applicant, or one faculty/academic reference. References from neighbors, friends, and relatives are not appropriate, unless they have served as supervisors. Additional letters are optional.
- Résumé (preferred) or statement of experience including the most relevant work and volunteer experience
- One- to two-page personal statement addressing the following topics: experiences from the applicant’s background that may enhance the teaching experience; the most rewarding and challenging aspects of working with youth; why the applicant wants to teach; preferred grade level and content areas and why; and how the applicant envisions supporting the success of all students and contributing to the profession. Written communication skills will be assessed along with content.
- Proof of Certificate of Clearance (COC). Applicants for Summer or Fall Terms must have a COC valid through January 31. Applicants for the Spring Term must have a COC valid through June 30. View instructions on Obtaining a Certificate of Clearance. Applicants are encouraged to begin this step as soon as possible to allow time for the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing to process your information.
- Proof the Basic Skills Requirement has been satisfied
- Proof of subject matter preparation or proof of paid registration for the next appropriate California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) administration (view teacher test preparation resources)
Send official transcripts to:Graduate and Professional Center
Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions
Azusa Pacific University
PO Box 7000
Azusa, CA 91702-7000
Watch the Application Tutorial
What to Expect
After all admission materials have been received by the Graduate and Professional Center, the faculty or department chair reviews the applicant’s file. The applicant is notified in writing of the admission decision.
Note: This information is current for the 2018-19 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.