Student Visa and Immigration

Upon admission into Azusa Pacific University we will issue you a SEVIS I-20 or DS 2019.

After you have received your SEVIS I-20 or DS 2019 from the International Center, you will need to make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that is closest to you in order to obtain a visa to study at APU.

Take your SEVIS I-20 or DS 2019 to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate for your appointment. If you have a SEVIS I-20, ask for an F-1 student visa. If you have a DS 2019, ask for a J-1 visa.

If you are a Canadian citizen, you do not need a visa. You will use your SEVIS I-20 or DS 2019 document with a passport or identification document when you enter the U.S. At the port of entry you will be given an I-94 (white card) which indicates your student status. You must show them the immigration document we will issue to you.

For other citizens, in addition to your SEVIS I-20 or DS 2019 you will also need to take your passport, financial support information, a TOEFL score (if you have one), your admission letter, and other documents requested by the specific U.S. Embassy/Consulate. Please be ready to answer questions. The U.S. Consulate officers will want to know what your plans are for your education and what your plans are after you graduate. You will need to demonstrate that you will return back to your home country after graduation.

Once you arrive in the U.S., you will need to present your SEVIS I-20 or DS 2019 to the immigration officer. If you have a SEVIS I-20 the officer will take it, stamp it, and mail it to ISS at APU. Once we receive it, we will return your SEVIS I-20 to you. You will be advised by the officer to obtain your SEVIS I-20 from your international student advisor. If you have a DS 2019, the officer will take page one and three and give you back page five after it is stamped.

Your SEVIS I-20/DS 2019 is very important. Please keep it with you along with other immigration documents throughout your entire time at APU and after you graduate in your permanent record file.

If you are planning to leave the U.S. for any reason, you must come to the International Center at least one week before you leave in order to get your SEVIS I-20 or DS 2019 signed.

For more information about traveling, obtaining a visa, etc., visit

Financial Aid