In an effort to reflect our university’s values and mission, the following policy is currently in place.
All music played at Azusa Pacific University events must be approved based on the following guidelines:
- No references to sexual acts or innuendo
- No references to graphic violence or physical abuse
- No references that glorify alcohol/drug use
- No slurs, including ethnicity, race, gender or sexual orientation
- No swearing and/or vulgar language
These areas should not be present in the content of the original lyrics; “edited”, “clean”, or “radio friendly” versions of songs are not permissible. In addition, the public persona of the performing artist should be taken into account.
Given the ever-changing nature and culture of pop music, it is unreasonable to expect only one person to monitor or understand the background of all the music played at Azusa Pacific events. Therefore, each staff member in conjunction with their student leaders should work to screen the music that is to be played at the specific event.