Keeping History Alive
Sponsored by The Helen and Will Webster Foundation, The Ahmanson Foundation, and Azusa Pacific University (APU), in cooperation with the Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE), the Keeping History Alive program offers small grants to assist teachers of history and social studies throughout Los Angeles County.
Individual grants range from $250-$850; group grants are available for up to $1,700 (groups of 2 teachers), $2,550 (groups of 3), and $3,400 (groups of 4).
Grants will be given for 4 categories:
- classroom resources,
- field trips,
- on-campus presentations,
- and/or professional development
The application deadline for the 2017-18 school year has now passed. All applicants will receive email notifications in November 2017
- A grant request is more likely to be granted if the application is written well and includes all the information required, particularly on how the use of the grant will relate to the teaching of history/social studies subjects.
- We will not contact grant applicants to fill in missing information, so an incomplete or sparse application will not be considered.
- The application must include the filled-out, signed Substitute W-9 form (available as a link on the application) in order to be eligible for acceptance.
- Grant checks are issued directly to each grant recipient, so the form should be filled out with the grant applicant’s personal information (not that of a school or district). We are unable to issue checks without a Social Security number on the form.
Note that grants are not considered as taxable income but rather as reimbursements—as long as the receipt(s) and report on the use of the grant are received by June 15, 2018. Grants will only be reported as taxable income in the case of a grant recipient not turning in the required report and receipt(s). More information on the report will be sent with grant notification.
Confirmation of successful submission of the application will appear after the “Submit” button is clicked.
Please do not submit multiple applications. If edits are needed prior to the due date, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A copy of the application will be emailed automatically to the email address(es) provided on the application.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to provide two separate email addresses to help avoid missing any correspondence from us due to spam filters.
After the deadline has passed, notification will be sent. All applicants, whether they are receiving a grant or not, will be sent email notification to the email address(es) provided on the application.
Subscribe for Updates
Follow us on Facebook to stay current on KHA updates. If you would like to receive the link each year to the online application directly by email, please sign up for our mailing list in the blue box below.