Frequently Asked Questions

How many units can I transfer?

The university can give credit for no more than 70 units of coursework from a two-year or junior college and 90 units from a four-year institution, or 90 units from a combination of two- and four-year schools. Students must complete 18 of their final 24 units at APU.

Where do I send my transcripts?

Prospective APU students (applicants) should submit their transcripts to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Current APU students should submit their transcripts to One Stop.

How can I find out whether a course from a certain college transfers to APU, or whether it fulfills General Education or major/minor requirements?

You can look at our Transfer Plans to find out what courses meet General Education requirements. Course-to-Course Articulation identifies individual courses or sequences of courses at a sending institution that are comparable to, or “acceptable in lieu of,” a corresponding course or sequence of courses at APU. These can include not only General Education requirements but major and minor requirements as well.

How do quarter units convert to semester units?

All quarter units will be converted to semester units. APU grants two semester units credit for every three quarter units.

I’m thinking about taking a course this summer at a college near my home. What do I do?

If you are a prospective student (applicant), contact your admissions counselor for more information about transferring courses to APU.

If you are a current APU student, follow the steps below to see if a course transfers to APU:

  1. Before you submit a Transfer Inquiry, we recommend checking Transferology (you’ll have to create an account), which is the simplest way to see if your course transfers to APU. If you find the course, send an official transcript to One Stop once the course is complete.
  2. If the course is not listed on Transferology, check our Articulation Agreements for preapproved courses from community colleges. If you find the course in an Articulation Agreement, send an official transcript to One Stop once the course is complete.
  3. If the course does not exist in the above options, obtain the course syllabus and complete the Transfer Inquiry. After you complete the course, send an official transcript to One Stop.

What is articulation?

When the word “articulation” is used in education, it often has different meanings and connotations depending on the setting. Articulation, for our purposes, refers specifically to course articulation—that is, the process of developing a formal, written agreement that identifies a course (or sequences of courses) on a “sending” campus that are comparable to, or acceptable in lieu of, specific course requirements at a “receiving” campus.

Successful completion of an articulated course assures the student and the faculty that the student has taken the appropriate course, received the necessary instruction and preparation, and that similar outcomes can be assured, enabling progression to the next level of instruction at the receiving institution (Source: Handbook for California Articulation Policies & Procedures).

Can I get credit for college courses taken while attending high school?

Yes, you can, provided the school or program through which that course is offered is a regionally accredited institution. APU must receive an official transcript, including your grades for the courses you wish to transfer, from that college or university.

Do you have financial aid or scholarships for transfer students?

Yes! APU offers academic scholarships and other financial aid opportunities to help make your college degree more affordable.

Student Help Center