About the Program
Why This Major Is Relevant
The Motion Picture Association of America reports that consumers are spending more and more on entertainment each year, and in 2007 the film industry grossed an unprecedented $26.7 billion worldwide. More than half of that gross is earned overseas, a fact that underlines Hollywood’s global impact. Located less than 30 miles from the heart of Hollywood, APU cinematic arts production students are uniquely positioned to participate in this influential industry through writing, producing, and interpreting stories of truth and beauty that entertain, educate, and inspire.
Gain In-depth Learning Experiences
Over the course of their studies, film production degree students have the opportunity to write or produce up to ten projects, ensuring that they graduate with tangible proof of their skills. Capstone projects provide the opportunity to produce a short film, write a creative or critical work, or create a reel or creative portfolio. Thanks to APU’s close proximity to Hollywood, “A-list” internships are readily available, providing insider experience before graduation. These internships provide students with a firsthand view of production processes, ensuring that they leave the cinematic arts program with experience on their résumés and professional contacts in the field.
A student majoring in cinematic arts production will be able to:
- Understand and practice the art of cinematic storytelling.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the aesthetic, practical, and technical aspects of writing, production, or criticism.
- Articulate, critique, and apply the historic, social, and theoretical contexts of the cinematic arts.
- Implement the protocol, vocabulary, and work ethic necessary for professional careers.
- Serve as a member of a creative team in leadership and servanthood roles to meet project goals.
- Integrate an understanding of Christian faith through critical, creative, and collaborative endeavors.
Note: This information is current for the 2020-21 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.