Specialize in the Visual Arts with APU’s Visual Art Major
APU’s Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Art is the professional undergraduate degree that is highly desired by serious students intent on pursuing careers or advanced degrees in the visual arts, such as an MFA. The BFA in Visual Art gives art students flexibility in constructing a program that allows them to choose one of five concentrations that is best suited to their academic and career goals. All art majors (including those who wish to pursue the BFA) take the first 18 units of the core classes in art. Then they may apply to enter the BFA via a portfolio review process.
Students engaged in professional undergraduate degrees in art/design should:
- Gain a basic understanding of the nature of professional work in their major field. Examples: organizational structures and working patterns; artistic, intellectual, economic, technological, and political contexts; and development potential.
- Demonstrate advanced competencies with traditional materials, tools, and techniques.
- Acquire the skills necessary to assist in the development and advancement of their careers, including the development of competencies in communication, presentation, and business skills necessary to engage in professional practice in their major field through critical judgment, writing, and speaking.
- Develop teaching skills related to their major area of study.
- Explore areas of individual interest related to art/design in general or to the major. Among the many possible examples: aesthetics, theory, specialized topics in art/design history, analysis, and technology.
- Explore multidisciplinary issues that include art and design.
- Practice synthesis of a broad range of art/design knowledge and skills, particularly through learning activities that involve minimum faculty guidance, where the emphasis is on evaluation at completion.
- Display an understanding of various worldviews (including Christian) in relation to the visual arts.
Learn more about this major.
A talent-based scholarship program is available to eligible incoming art majors. Learn more.
While an art student at APU, I not only acquired multiple artistic skills, but I gained a deeper understanding of myself and what it means to create art that is both personal and glorifying to God.