Skip to Content
Apply Request

Leaving the University

In this Section:

Leave of Absence

Undergraduate students may request to take a leave of absence from enrollment in classes for up to two semesters. Requests for a leave should be submitted to the chair of the student's major department and require university approval. Forms are available from the Office of the Associate Dean of Students and must be completed prior to the student's absence from the university. Failure to complete the required form or to re-enroll at the end of the approved leave will require the student to reapply to the university and comply with any applicable changes in admissions, financial aid, and degree requirements.

Withdrawal from the University

A student who, for any reason, finds it necessary to withdraw from the university during the course of the semester must do so through the Office of the Associate Dean of Students. The student must complete the University Withdrawal form. Failure to comply with these regulations results in failing grades entered on the student's record and a dishonorable dismissal. (See Refund Policy at Undergraduate Student Financial Services.)

Withdrawal from University After Disciplinary Action

In matters of disciplinary action resulting in suspension or dismissal from the university, a written statement will be sent from the dean of students or his/her designee informing the student of the action. The dean of students will also notify the Undergraduate Registrar regarding the student's status and authorize proper withdrawal from classes. Dismissed students will not receive tuition refunds except by administrative action.

Honorable Dismissal

In order to qualify for an honorable dismissal, the dismissal must not be the result of disciplinary action, and the student must be free from financial obligations to the university. The student must also have participated in the exit interview process. Academic disqualification does not constitute dishonorable dismissal.

Academic Probation and Academic Dismissal

Students will be placed on academic probation for either of these two reasons:

Students placed on academic probation will not be allowed to register for more than 14 units the following term and until they are removed from academic probation. Students on academic probation who do not attain a 2.0 grade-point average during the probationary term or do not meet stipulated requirements placed on them by the Admissions Committee will be dismissed for a semester or more.

Reapplication after Academic or Disciplinary Dismissal

A student who has been dismissed for academic reasons may petition to return to APU for the following semester through the Office of Academic Advising Services. The petition must state:

If the petition to return is approved by committee, the student's probationary status will be monitored regularly thereafter by the Office of Academic Advising Services to ensure that the student is making satisfactory progress in remedying grade deficiencies. Failure to maintain a 2.0 grade-point average at this point will result in permanent disqualification from further study at APU.


A student who has been academically dismissed and does not petition to return for the following semester must apply to re-enroll through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (or International Center if the student is an international student) for readmission to APU. Re-enrollment is not guaranteed and the student's file will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.