The Student Health Center offers travel immunizations to students, faculty, and staff who are traveling abroad. The Student Health Center consults with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for specific recommendations dependent on the country of destination. Travelers may also visit the CDC’s website for more information at cdc.gov/travel/.
If you are planning to go to a foreign country and would like to discuss travel vaccinations with our travel nurse, you may schedule an appointment online via the MyCougar Health portal or by calling the Student Health Center during office hours.
We have two different appointment types: 20 minutes and 30 minutes. For those traveling with APU's study away programs, those with only a few questions, or only needing one vaccination, the 20 minute appointment will probably suffice. Those that likely need two or more vaccinations, including most of those traveling on a CSA trip, the 30 minute appointment would likely be the best option.
Whenever a vaccine is given, a patient must read over an informational form (VIS form) beforehand. In order to save time during the Travel Consultation, if you know which vaccines you may need, it would be a good idea to read over the required VIS form(s) ahead of time. These can be accessed on the MyCougar Health portal under the ‘Education’ tab or the CDC website.
Immunization Fees at the Student Health Center
- Hepatitis A: $60 each (series of two shots)
- Hepatitis B: $60 each (series of three shots)
- Hepatitis A and B (Twinrix): $90 each (series of three shots)
- Influenza (flu vaccine): $20
- Malaria: Cost depends on length of trip and medication prescribed
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella): $70 each (two lifetime)
- Meningitis A, C, W, Y (Menactra): $115
- Meningitis B (obtained from local pharmacy with Rx from SHC)
- Trumenba: usually a two-shot series at about $140/shot OR
- Bexsero: two-shot series at $165/shot
- Polio: $40
- Td (tetanus and diphtheria): $35
- Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis): $50
- TST (TB skin test): $10
- Oral typhoid pills (obtained by local pharmacy): approximately $60
- Yellow fever: $115
Please note: Costs may change dependent on manufacturer’s prices. Contact the Student Health Center for the most up-to-date costs.
Alternative Locations for Travel Immunizations
Pasadena County Health
Travelers Immunization Clinic
1845 N. Fair Oaks Ave.
|Hours:||Mondays, 1:15-4:30 p.m.|
|Wednesdays, 8:15-10:45 a.m. and 1:15-4:30 p.m.|
|Thursdays, 1:15-4:30 p.m.|
Healthy Traveler Clinic
1250 E. Green. St., Ste. 100
Pasadena, CA 91106
|Hours:||Mondays–Thursdays, 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1:30-5:30 p.m.|
|Fridays, 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.|