Prepare for Analytical Careers with APU’s Applied Math Major
Applied mathematics majors learn to solve problems from a variety of disciplines by developing mathematical models, applying computational algorithms, and analyzing results in this Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics program. The applied mathematics curriculum includes core courses in calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, statistics, numerical analysis, computer science, and physics, and allows students to choose from four concentrations:
- The standard applied mathematics concentration brings together a powerful collection of mathematical techniques that can be applied in many different fields.
- The actuarial science concentration launches students into a career that is at or near the top of most rankings and doesn’t require a graduate degree. The courses specified for the concentration satisfy most of the Validation by Educational Experience requirements set by the Society of Actuaries and prepare students for the initial actuarial exam(s).
- The computer science and physics concentrations enable students to focus on a variety of applications of mathematics within these partner disciplines.
The applied mathematics major provides ideal preparation for a variety of analytical careers in science, industry, business, government, and the education and nonprofit sectors. As businesses and government agencies continue to emphasize the use of big data, employment in mathematics-related occupations is expected to grow by 28 percent over the next 10 years, compared to an overall growth in the workforce of 7 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Five-Year B.S. Plus M.S. Pathway
Complete a Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics: Computer Science and a Master of Science in Applied Statistics and Analytics in just five years. The synergy between these two degrees makes it possible to trim a full year off the time normally required to complete both a bachelor's and a master's.
The combination of courses in these two degrees equips you with advanced skills in mathematics, computer science, and statistic training, preparing you to be a competitive candidate for data analysis positions in a variety of fields and industries.
Is This Major Right for You?
You’re an applied mathematics major if you:
- Find beauty in numbers, shapes, and patterns
- Enjoy using logic to solve problems and puzzles
- Embrace mental challenges
- Are thorough and detail oriented
- Are comfortable with ambiguity and open-ended questions
- Love to unravel mysteries
- Are eager to comprehend the hidden mathematical structures that order God’s creation
- Want to apply mathematical techniques to help shape nature and society
- Want to learn to harness the power of technology for good purposes
- Seek to belong to a vibrant, faithful, and supportive community of learners
Being a part of the mathematics program at APU has been one of the biggest blessings during my time here. The professors are kind, approachable, and I can tell they really care about me and my future.Tamara Comeau ’13
Gain In-depth Learning Experiences
APU mathematics students participate in original research projects with faculty and secure internships with organizations such as the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (part of NASA) and the National Security Agency (NSA). Research and internship experiences ensure that mathematics majors graduate with contacts in their chosen field, solid evidence of their skills, and substantial experience on their résumés.