Challenging Academics in a Close-knit Learning Community
Every year, Azusa Pacific University attracts an increasing number of the country’s best students seeking a rigorous academic experience grounded in the Christian faith. The university has expanded the institution’s investment in academically-gifted students by establishing the Honors College.
The Honors College telos—its aim, purpose, end—is to liberally educate the next generation of intellectually-gifted Christian leaders.
Today’s top performing students are tomorrow’s leaders. They will write the books we read, determine the news stories we hear, produce the movies we watch. They will govern communities, preach in pulpits, teach in universities, and make key decisions in corporate boardrooms. Preparing these future leaders is our top priority.
The Honors College curriculum starts with the premise that good leadership requires the cultivation of moral and intellectual virtue—the habits of the heart and of the mind that enable one to determine what ought to be done and how best to do it.
Honors Humanities Major
The Honors College core curriculum comprises nine courses that lead to an Honors Humanities major (a minor is also available). Completion of the major waives all of the university’s General Education requirements, which means students do not need to take General Education courses. Honors Humanities is not a standalone major; Honors scholars also complete an additional major in their field of study. Both majors can typically be completed while graduating in four years.
- Engage life’s big questions in discussion-based, Oxford-style tutorials, small group colloquies, and intellectually stimulating seminars with exceptional APU faculty.
- Be challenged academically in a close-knit community.
- Benefit from a cohesive curriculum centered on studying primary texts by Aristotle, Shakespeare, C.S. Lewis, and others; no secondary textbooks or traditional examinations.
- Choose a second major instead of the General Education curriculum.
- Reserve the classes you want with priority registration.
- Receive individualized attention and a liberal arts education with all the resources and benefits of a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university near Los Angeles.
News & FeaturesMore News & Features