Department faculty utilize a strengths-based approach to learning and leading. Watch the following video of department chair Laurie Schreiner, Ph.D., to learn more.

The Department of Higher Education offers the following programs:

Master’s Degree

College Counseling and Student Development, M.S.
This program has a rich history of more than 40 years, and its balance of theory and practice prepares graduates for the exciting and ever-changing field of working with today's college students. This cohort-based program can be completed on site in Azusa in two years of internships and coursework. The culminating capstone experience allows students to synthesize their new knowledge for their professional application—for those new to the field and those seeking professional advancement.


Doctoral-Level Certificate in Strengths-Oriented Higher Education
The Doctoral-Level Certificate in Strengths-Oriented Higher Education is designed for educators and leaders who already have a master’s degree and wish to deepen their knowledge and application of a strengths development model to their work in higher education.

Doctoral Degrees

Higher Education Leadership, Ed.D.
Qualifies graduates for leadership roles in colleges and universities, especially in student development, academic support, and institutional administration. This is a three-year, 51-unit, cohort-based program offered on the Azusa campus for one week each June and nine weekends a year (Fridays and Saturdays).
Higher Education, Ph.D.
The Ph.D. in Higher Education develops scholars who are able to conduct original research and interpret and communicate the results of that research through their writing, teaching, and leadership. This is a 60-unit, cohort-based program offered on the Azusa campus for two weeks each July and January for four years.

Which One is for You—Ed.D. or Ph.D.?

Compare the Higher Education Ph.D. and Ed.D. Programs

Note: This information is current for the 2018-19 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.