The Doctor of Philosophy in Higher Education prepares graduates for positions as faculty, researchers, and academic leaders who are able to conduct original research that contributes to higher education policy and practice, and to interpret and communicate the results of that research through their writing, teaching, and leadership.
- Cohort model designed for working professionals in higher education
- Sequenced, lock-step curriculum enables students to complete the full degree, including dissertation, within four years at a guaranteed tuition rate
- Two weeks at APU each January and July, with online instruction and meetings at professional conferences in between
- Unique strengths-based approach to teaching, learning, leadership, and research
- Experienced faculty who are professionally active scholars committed to student success
- International travel as part of the Global Policy course exposes all students to international higher education policy and practice
- All students join a faculty member’s research team for two years of hands-on experience doing research that makes a difference
- Leadership skills and competencies, including emotional intelligence, are woven throughout the curriculum
- Comprehensive exams that are practical demonstrations of program competencies in leadership, student success, and social justice/diversity
- Social justice perspectives and faith integration are woven throughout the curriculum
Which One is for You—Ed.D. or Ph.D.?
School of Behavioral and Applied Sciences Accreditation
Azusa Pacific University is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
Azusa Pacific University secured a place in the most prestigious category of U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges 2017 rankings, placing at No. 183 in Tier One of the National Universities category. In addition, The Princeton Review named APU as 1 of 124 institutions in the 2017 Best Colleges in the West, Forbes ranked APU among the best schools in the nation for 2017, and G.I. Jobs named APU a Military Friendly School for 2017, placing APU among the top 15 percent of schools in the country helping military students reach their education dreams.