All petitions must be turned in to the Office of Chapel Programs by the last day of the drop period each semester. Any petition received after that date may be subject to a late fee based on the following timeline:
- 30 days after the add/drop date: $125
- 31-59 days after the add/drop date: $150
- 60+ days after the add/drop date: $175
The student may be held responsible for any absences accrued up to that date.
Note: No petition will be automatically approved and petitions are valid for one semester only.
A copy of the processed petition will be mailed to the student’s APU mailbox or address provided on the form, 3-4 weeks after the drop date.
Note: Chapel attendance is the student’s responsibility. If no response has been received from Chapel Programs, it is the student’s responsibility to contact the office for status on the petition process. Students may be held responsible for accrued absences.
Reasons for Petitioning
- Commuter students who live within 10 miles of the campus are required to attend chapel each semester. Commuters who live outside the 10-mile radius with no class before or after chapel may petition to be excused for chapel for the semester (address verification may be required). Commuters outside a 30-mile radius with no class before chapel may petition to be excused from chapel for the semester. No commuter is automatically excused. No petition is automatically approved.
- Non-APU paid jobs are excusable absences only if a student must work during chapel. However, it is the student’s responsibility to submit a petition to the Office of Chapel Programs with an attached letter on company letterhead from his/her employer, stating days and hours he/she is required to work (phone verification may be required). All petitions must be turned in to Chapel Programs by the last day of the drop period each semester. If a job is acquired after the drop date, the student may still petition within two weeks of the start date of employment to avoid the late-petition fine. All documentation will be required along with verification of employment start date. No petition is automatically approved.
- Off-campus required internships are excusable with documentation from the students professor and place of internship. Note: on-campus required internships are not excusable, per section 11 policy in the student employee handbook.
- Emergency absences: In extreme cases (e.g., hospitalization), documentation may be submitted within 2 weeks from the emergency. No petition is automatically approved.
- Volunteer employment situations will not be granted excusal.
- APU paid positions do not qualify for chapel excuse, per section 11 policy in the student employee handbook.
If for any of the above reasons you are regularly excused from one chapel per week, you will be allowed seven personal absences per semester. If you are regularly excused from two chapels per week, you will be allowed four personal absences per semester. Note: Any changes to your attendance record may result in an adjustment to your allowable absences.
If you have been excused from any regular chapel day’s attendance, you will not be permitted to submit an attendance card on that day to take the place of another absence. Once you have reached your limit of personal absences, any further unexcused absences will immediately result in Chapel Noncompliance. If a required morning chapel is missed, it must be made up within the same week to avoid accruing an absence. Attending more than the required number of chapels in one week does not “roll over” additional credit to the next week.
Students with Disabilities
Students who have a disability that prevents them from full participation in chapel should meet with an advisor in the Learning Enrichment Center (LEC) as soon as possible to initiate disability verification and discuss accommodations that may be necessary to ensure full participation in chapel. Reasonable accommodations for students with verifiable disabilities will be assessed and determined by the Learning Enrichment Center and Chapel Programs. Contact the LEC at (626) 815-3849.
For more information about chapel attendance, contact the Office of Chapel Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (626) 812-3088.