Music Education Degree
The Master of Music Education degree builds upon the field experience of current teachers and educational professionals, transforming teachers who love music into music education specialists. This music education degree melds rigorous academic standards with practical classroom skills that translate into innovative K-12 programs in both private and public school settings. Equipping educators with the adaptability and commitment needed for the classroom, program requirements include core academic and music courses, and specialization in either choral or instrumental conducting.
- Broad core of classes that address issues relevant to both instrumental and choral music education
- Freedom to integrate faith into music education
- Research methods, musicology, style analysis, pedagogy, and the philosophical, psychological, social, and historical foundations of music education
- Specialized classes focused on the student’s choice of instrumental or choral emphasis
- In-depth courses on arranging, choral conducting, and choral pedagogy for those with a choral emphasis
- In-depth courses on orchestration, instrumental conducting, and instrumental pedagogy for those with an instrumental emphasis
- Directed research culminating in a thesis (required for completion of the degree)
Learn how earning a master’s degree in music with a mentor-based approach can help you prepare for a future career in music.
School of Music Accreditation
A degree from Azusa Pacific University is respected and recognized internationally, and accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). The university is regionally accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
Azusa Pacific University secured a place in the most prestigious category of U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges 2019 rankings, and also ranked No. 22 for First-Year Experience, No. 23 in Service Learning, and No. 31 in Campus Ethnic Diversity. In addition, Forbes and The Princeton Review included Azusa Pacific in their America’s Top Colleges 2019 and 2020 Best Western Colleges rankings, respectively. Azusa Pacific is also a military-friendly Yellow Ribbon University, serving more than 500 military-connected students and families, and is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as an R2 Doctoral Research University.
Note: This information is current for the 2020-21 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.