Music Education Degree
The Master of Music Education degree builds upon the field experience of current teachers and educational professionals, transforming teachers who love music into music education specialists. This music education degree melds rigorous academic standards with practical classroom skills that translate into innovative K-12 programs in both private and public school settings. Equipping educators with the adaptability and commitment needed for the classroom, program requirements include core academic and music courses, and specialization in either choral or instrumental conducting.
- Broad core of classes that address issues relevant to both instrumental and choral music education
- Freedom to integrate faith into music education
- Research methods, musicology, style analysis, pedagogy, and the philosophical, psychological, social, and historical foundations of music education
- Specialized classes focused on the student’s choice of instrumental or choral emphasis
- In-depth courses on arranging, choral conducting, and choral pedagogy for those with a choral emphasis
- In-depth courses on orchestration, instrumental conducting, and instrumental pedagogy for those with an instrumental emphasis
- Directed research culminating in a thesis (required for completion of the degree)
School of Music Accreditation
A degree from Azusa Pacific University is respected and recognized internationally, and accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). The university is regionally accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
Azusa Pacific University secured a place in the most prestigious category of U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges 2017 rankings, placing at No. 183 in Tier One of the National Universities category. In addition, The Princeton Review named APU as 1 of 124 institutions in the 2017 Best Colleges in the West, Forbes ranked APU among the best schools in the nation for 2017, and G.I. Jobs named APU a Military Friendly School for 2017, placing APU among the top 15 percent of schools in the country helping military students reach their education dreams.
Note: This information is current for the 2019-20 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.