Prepare for Ministry with an MDiv
Preparing for practical, effective ministry starts with a journey of personal transformation, and Azusa Pacific can help you take that next step with the Master of Divinity (MDiv) program, which equips pastors and lay leaders for professional ministry in the Church. This program gives students basic training in theological and ministerial studies through rigorous coursework and ongoing supervised ministry, preparing them to transform the world with Christ. The program is also available with an emphasis in Biblical Studies, and in Korean and Spanish as well as English.
- Learn to navigate the complexities of pastoral work through on-site internships.
- Develop transformational mentoring relationships with faculty who are equipped with academic credentials and years of ministerial experience.
- Benefit from an excellent professor-to-student ratio of 1:20.
- Geared toward the pastor seeking ordination and possibly interested in a D.Min.
- Earn the recognized theology degree for ordination.
- Develop foundational understanding of the basics that comprise theological study: Bible, language, ministry, ethics, and practicum training.
- Institute patterns of effective ministry through a combination of classroom instruction, peer-to-peer learning, and practical application.
- Utilize resources from Church history and systematic theology to shape contemporary ministry.
- Gain global awareness of the Church and its ministry.
Learn more about the program format.
An M.Div. is not just for pastors of traditional churches. Here are four alternative career paths you could pursue upon graduation.
The MDiv program prepares ministry graduates who:
- Model a holy life through spiritual disciplines reflecting the Wesleyan heritage of faith and love.
- Interpret Scripture with reverent criticism, theological insight, and constructive imagination, beginning with the inductive method of Bible study, for the edification of the Church.
- Think theologically through the Wesleyan quadrilateral (Scripture, Church tradition, reason, and experience) in a manner that is faithful to the past and responsive to the present.
- Develop competency in the pastoral responsibilities of preaching, teaching, leadership, and pastoral care.
- Analyze various cultural constructs and global issues in order to provide transforming leadership for the Church.
The faculty of Azusa Pacific Seminary believe that the growth of the student’s spiritual life is foundational to effective ministry. Accordingly, the development of spiritual life is integral to every course. In addition, there are opportunities for the seminary community to pray together and share experiences in Jesus Christ. Students and faculty are encouraged to attend the university chapels as well as special services and lectures.
Azusa Pacific University is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). Azusa Pacific Seminary is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS).
The Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools
10 Summit Park Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15275
Phone: (412) 788-6505
Fax: (412) 788-6510
WASC Senior College and University Commission
985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100
Alameda, CA 94501
Phone: (510) 748-9001
Fax: (510) 748-9797
Azusa Pacific University secured a place in the most prestigious category of U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges 2019 rankings, and also ranked No. 22 for First-Year Experience, No. 23 in Service Learning, and No. 31 in Campus Ethnic Diversity. In addition, Forbes and The Princeton Review included Azusa Pacific in their America’s Top Colleges 2019 and 2020 Best Western Colleges rankings, respectively. Azusa Pacific is also a military-friendly Yellow Ribbon University, serving more than 500 military-connected students and families, and is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as an R2 Doctoral Research University.
Note: This information is current for the 2021-22 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.