Student in Duke Commons

Office of Student Employment

Book a Student Employment I-9 Appointment

Book Appointment

Close announcement

Finding Jobs on Campus

Earn a Degree While Working Full Time

More students are beginning college when they’re older, returning to college after a break, and maintaining full-time employment or caring for their children while working toward a degree. Here are 5 strategies for successfully working full time while earning a degree!

Searching for a student employment position at APU is similar to obtaining employment with other organizations. You can search and apply for on-campus jobs through the Handshake platform. The Office of Student Employment can offer guidance throughout the process and will ensure that all hire-related documentation is obtained and accurate in accordance with California and federal employment law and practice through our onboarding system, SilkRoad.

Before you begin your job search:

  1. Verify that you meet the Eligibility Requirements (PDF) for working on campus.
  2. Have original identification necessary to obtain employment. Photocopies of identification will not be accepted. View the List of Acceptable Documents for Hire (PDF).
  3. Review Student Employment Pay Scale 2024 (PDF).

Job search steps:

Departments and offices on campus hire student employees on a regular basis. As positions become available, they will be posted to our career platform, Handshake.
Supervisors will contact students directly to schedule interviews.
After a supervisor has recommended a student for hire, the student will receive an email with a link to the electronic onboarding portal, SilkRoad Onboarding. This portal contains employment documents that are required for employment purposes. Keep in mind that additional tasks will become available after the initial tasks are completed. Be sure to continue to check the portal after you complete each step to ensure you have successfully completed all required tasks.
Once the student is offered an on-campus position, he or she must bring identification to the Office of Student Employment to complete form I-9. Original identification is necessary to obtain employment; photocopies cannot be accepted. Once all necessary documentation has been reviewed and processed, the student will be entered into the university’s timekeeping system and may begin employment. Please note: No student may start working until employment documents are entered into the system and the timekeeping account is created.

Upon hire, all student employees will be required to complete Campus SaVE, FERPA, and Sexual Harassment Prevention Training. Time spent completing these online training sessions is paid time. Please include this time on your electronic time card.

The Office of Student Employment at Azusa Pacific University, in compliance with the law and in order to provide a God-honoring work environment that encourages respect and esteem for each member of the community, requires Campus SaVE, FERPA, and Sexual Harassment Prevention Training at least every two years (within two weeks of hire) for all faculty, staff, and student employees at all APU locations. This policy is consistent with valuing the safety and comfort of each employee and striving to create respectful, productive workplace dynamics across all offices and departments.

AB 1825, California’s mandatory sexual harassment training law (codified at Cal. Lab. Code § 12950.1), was adopted by the California legislature in 2004. Starting on January 1, 2006, all employers with 50 or more employees were required to provide at least two hours of sexual harassment training once every two years for supervisors located in the state of California.

Supervisors will provide students with a work schedule and review any pertinent information necessary for the particular position for which the student has been hired. Students must also review the Student Employment Handbook (PDF) before beginning work. Students will be expected to log all hours worked into our automated timekeeping system. View the Timekeeping Policy (PDF). Students will be paid on a bi-weekly basis.

Federal Work Study

Federal work-study is a need-based government program granted to students who qualify. Students must work on campus to receive the federal work-study award.

Award money is included in the student’s paycheck, not credited to the student’s APU tuition account. Qualified recipients must seek employment on campus or the funds will be removed from their financial aid. Department managers and supervisors will make every attempt to hire a federal work-study recipient according to their qualifications, skills, and career goals. Certain departments are not qualified to pay under this program.

Frequently Asked Questions


Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a need-based program that provides part-time employment opportunities to qualified students (undergraduate and graduate) who would like to earn money to help pay for their educational expenses. Eligibility is determined through the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Students must state on their FAFSA they are interested in receiving Federal Work Study and demonstrate need in order to be considered for FWS.
Eligibility for Federal Work-Study (FWS) is typically determined based on financial need, as assessed by the information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To qualify, students must be enrolled in a participating institution and meet certain eligibility criteria set by the program. If you want to check your work study eligibility amount:

  • Go to
  • Click on Financials —> View Financial Aid.

If you don’t see “Federal Work Study” then you  were not eligible for that particular year. If you have questions, reach out to APU’s Student Services Center ([email protected]).

Graduate Students: Students who have completed a FAFSA and are eligible for Title IV loans may be eligible for FWS upon request and should contact APU’s Student Services Center (it’s not automatically awarded in the graduate financial aid package).

Screenshot of Federal Work Study

To apply for Federal Work-Study, you need to fill out the FAFSA form and select you are interested in receiving FWS. Once your financial aid package is determined, APU’s financial aid office will include FWS in your package if you're eligible for Federal Work-Study.
Federal Work-Study jobs include student jobs on campus and approved APU community advancement program jobs (CAP). Federal Work-Study jobs can vary widely, ranging from on-campus positions such as library assistant, event services, dining services, administrative support in university offices, to off-campus roles with community organizations or government agencies. The types of jobs available often depend on the needs of the university and the community. Please note that jobs in the Chapel office will not qualify for FWS. You can search for all on-campus jobs on Handshake

Select "Jobs", filter "On-Campus”), then enter "CAP" in the search field to find the approved community advancement program jobs.

Typically, student positions are part-time. However, the exact amount of hours varies by role. Be sure to check the range of hours when you are applying in Handshake. Some positions are limited to only the amount of money you have been approved for with FWS. Other positions are not limited to your FWS amount. Azusa Pacific University allows students in some positions to work up to 29 hours per week during the academic year, but hours may vary depending on departmental needs.

Typically, students are allowed to work part-time hours. Azusa Pacific University allows students to work up to 29 hours per week during the academic year, but hours may vary depending on departmental needs.

Pay rates for Federal Work-Study jobs are determined by the employer and must be at least the federal minimum wage. However, some positions may offer higher pay rates depending on the nature of the work and the skills required.

Federal Work-Study earnings do not count towards a student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) value in future years’ FAFSAs. Though earnings are reported to the IRS for tax purposes and listed as income in subsequent FAFSAs, income earned through an FWS position is not considered when determining a student’s eligibility for federal or state need-based aid.

It depends on the financial aid package of the individual student. For questions about eligibility or to explore an increase in the award amount, contact APU's Student Services Center ([email protected]).

Work schedules for Federal Work-Study jobs often offer flexibility to accommodate your class schedule. You may be able to work around your academic commitments, but the specific arrangements will depend on the requirements of your position and your employer.

Many Federal Work-Study positions provide valuable opportunities for gaining experience, making professional connections, and developing skills relevant to your field of study or future career goals. You may receive training, mentorship, and opportunities for advancement within your role.

If you’re unable to secure a Federal Work-Study position on-campus or with an approved community advancement program (CAP), you can explore other forms of employment both on and off-campus. Center APU’s Center for Career and Community Engaged Learning may offer resources and assistance in finding job opportunities that align with your interests and skills.

Eligibility for Federal Work-Study is typically assessed on an annual basis based on financial need and availability of funds. If you continue to demonstrate financial need and meet the program's eligibility criteria, you may be able to participate in Federal Work-Study each academic year.

  1. Go to and log in using your APU single sign-on credentials.
  2. Click “Career Center” and then “Resources.”
  3. Select “On-Campus Employment Application” from the resources list.
  4. Under “Attachments,” click the file to download the application.

To complete the application and add it to your Handshake profile:

  1. Open the file in the downloads folder on your device. Fill out the application and save it to your device.
  2. On, click on your profile and select “Documents” from the dropdown menu.
  3. Click “Add a New Document.”
  4. Open the “Select a Document” dropdown menu, and select “Other Document.” Upload the document from your device.

View visual instructions (PDF). If you have further application questions, contact the Center for Career and Community-Engaged Learning at [email protected].

Student employees are responsible for reviewing the information in the Student Employment Handbook (PDF). If you have additional questions, please contact the Office of Student Employment at (626) 815-4680 or email [email protected].

On-campus job postings can be found on Handshake, APU’s career network. To apply for a job on campus, create a profile on Handshake using your APU credentials. Search on-campus jobs and apply directly on the Handshake platform.

For questions or assistance creating a Handshake account, contact the Center for Career and Community-Engaged Learning at [email protected].

Student employees may work up to 29 hours per week. International students may work up to 20 hours per week. Additional hours may be offered at the department’s request when school is not traditionally in session (i.e., summer, Christmas and mid-semester break). View the complete policy in the Student Employment Handbook.
Log in to and change the information online.
Student employees are paid on a bi-weekly pay period. View the Bi-Weekly Payroll Calendar (PDF) for a list of dates.
Yes. We encourage you to take advantage of APU’s direct deposit service. To apply, complete the Employee Direct Deposit Enrollment Form (PDF) and attach a voided check or authorization from your bank/financial institution. Please submit the forms to the Payroll Office.

You may access pay stub and W-2 information electronically. To access your payroll information:

  1. Visit ADP iPay at Click on “Register Now” and follow the prompts.
  2. To obtain your registration passcode, contact the Payroll Department at (626) 815-4722 or [email protected].
  3. We suggest that you use your personal email address instead of your APU email address at the time of registration. If you were to depart from APU, your pay statement/W-2 history will be accessible with your personal email address.

For more information, contact the Payroll Department at (626) 815-4722 or [email protected].

To log hours that are not in Kronos, fill out the Time Change Request Form. Once complete, please send it to [email protected]. For further information, email [email protected] or call (626) 815-4737.

Federal Work Study Information for Supervisors

There are several ways you can find out if a student is eligible:

  • The easiest and most accurate way is to ask the student, students can refer to their View Financial Aid tab under the page to verify their eligibility. 
  • The following option is for those supervisors who have access in PeopleSoft to view student financial aid: 
    • Login to PeopleSoft
    • Click on the Student Services Center tab on the left side of the page
    • Enter the student’s info and click on the “Search” button (you can either use their name or their student ID)
    • Make sure that you are on the Student Center tab and then click on “View Financial Aid” under the Finances section
    • A small window will pop up asking you to select the aid year you wish to view. Select the current academic year.
    • Once you have selected the year, you will be able to see if the student has a FWS award as shown in the picture above. (Full academic year amount and per semester amounts are noted; semester awards do not roll over and cannot be combined.)

Note: A student may have multiple on-campus jobs utilizing FWS funds

Screenshot Sups FWS

  • The last option is to email [email protected] with applicant APU ID# and full name to request if the student is FWS eligible.

As a supervisor, you do not need to do anything, the office of student employment checks eligibility for Federal Work Study and the Student Services Center processes use of the funds in connection with payroll through Kronos entries attached to the student’s APU ID number. 

As a supervisor in the Federal Work Study program, your responsibilities include providing meaningful work experiences related to the student's field of study, setting clear expectations and goals, monitoring the student's work performance, and approving accurate time entries in Kronos  for payroll purposes.

If you encounter performance or attendance issues with a Federal Work Study student, address the concerns promptly and professionally. Provide clear feedback, offer support or additional training if needed,  and document any discussions or actions taken. If needed, the student employment office can provide supervisors with a corrective action form.

Contact Information

Email: [email protected]
Phone: (626) 815-4680


Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.


Building 22
apu campus