Make a Difference as a Video Game Designer with Azusa Pacific's Game Design Degree
Prepare for an innovative career bringing your creative ideas to life as a video game designer with Azusa Pacific’s Bachelor of Arts in Games and Interactive Media. This immersive game design degree program is a confluence of story and play––we believe that truth may be found in both. At APU, we are not simply game makers, we are game changers.
Learn to build games of all types, benefitting from a well-rounded curriculum that integrates the iterative process of storytelling, game mechanics, art, sound, and more. Study under supportive faculty-mentors who work in the industry, and alongside a collaborative community of students engaged in art and design. Capitalize on the department’s connections with video game companies like Blizzard, EA, and Square Enix, and APU’s proximity to the multimedia industry hub of Los Angeles.
Meet the Faculty: Tim Samoff
- Benefit from a well-rounded education through courses in animation techniques, game theory, programming, story and character development, sound design, and environmental design.
- Engage in ongoing, hands-on learning and create multiple games from inception to completion, building your digital portfolio as you go.
- Gain a deep understanding of the development process, from preproduction to production and postproduction, and beyond.
- Learn to thoughtfully consider how art and culture impact one another and what role the Christian artist plays in the process.
- Develop proficiency in industry-leading game engines, with programming support for distribution on multiple platforms.
- Expand your knowledge of gaming-related topics including game technologies, AI for games, games and learning, games and health, augmented and mixed reality games, and virtual worlds.
Exploring Faith and Influencing Culture
Pursuing a major in APU’s College of the Arts means exploring with diverse individuals the intersection of faith and the arts, fully engaging in various media to tackle some of life’s most complex questions. Learn from faculty with experience living out their Christian faith in the industry as they offer wisdom and mentorship, and create bonds with like-minded students pursuing artistic careers. “Those who tell the stories rule society,” said Plato. At APU, you will find a thriving community of creative students and faculty sharing the goal of becoming great artists who can influence the entertainment industry, and in turn, culture, through stories about beauty, redemption, and what it means to be human.
Prepare for a Game Design Career
The game design industry creates more than $100 billion a year in revenue, and APU’s games and interactive media major prepares students for roles in this influential industry by offering courses beyond the elements of game development, from technology and production to leadership and project management. Additionally, you will graduate with an original “vertical slice” (playable demo showcasing multiple aspects of a game’s mechanics, art, and form) of a game to include in your professional portfolio for use at competitions, festivals, and job interviews.
Is This Major Right for You?
You’re a games and interactive media major if you:
- Are passionate about telling stories
- Are interested in the intersection of art and interactivity
- Enjoy creating characters and worlds
- Are fascinated by the structure and strategy of video games
- Are skilled at problem solving and creating systems
- Have technical abilities with creative software
Note: This information is current for the 2019-20 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.