Master’s in Screenwriting
The Master of Arts in Screenwriting program at Azusa Pacific University prepares writers with literary talent and strong motivation to tell substantive stories that point audiences toward truth and beauty, while exploring the dialogue between faith and cinematic arts. Faculty are entertainment industry veterans who are passionate about mentoring students as they hone their craft. And with close proximity to Hollywood, students benefit from collaborative opportunities to learn from visiting professionals.
The M.A. in Screenwriting program, housed in APU’s Department of Cinematic Arts, is offered in a low-residency program format that supports working professionals. The program is the only graduate screenwriting degree offered among Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) on the West Coast.
- A low-residency program format enables students to complete their master’s degree during three summer terms and online courses during the fall and spring terms.
- Multiple entry points so students can select the ideal time to start their graduate education journey.
- Highly collaborative relationships with professor-mentors who encourage writers to hone their craft through critique and individual instruction.
- A learning environment located less than 25 miles from Hollywood, the entertainment capital of the world.
The M.A. in Screenwriting is designed with flexibility in mind. The program offers convenient online courses throughout the fall and spring, while on-campus classes meet over three summer terms.
Read more about the benefits of a low-residency program.
Faculty with Industry Experience
Screenwriting faculty are working professionals who have accumulated hundreds of industry credits on films and television series and exhibit artistic integrity to guide students on their academic journeys.
- Jim Lincoln, writer, Desperate Housewives; writer/producer, Weird Science
- Philip Lollar, co-creator/writer, Adventures in Odyssey
- Greg Michael, writer, Baby Geniuses; second unit director, The Mummy, Van Helsing
- Jesse Negron, creator/writer, AFP: American Fighter Pilot
- Thomas Parham, writer, JAG, Big Brother Jake
- Cheryl McKay Price, writer, The Ultimate Gift; author, Never the Bride
Learn more about the screenwriting faculty.
Note: This information is current for the 2020-21 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.