Advocate for Justice with APU’s Political Science Major
APU’s political science major prepares students to become advocates for truth and justice in the world. Students gain the knowledge needed to make and recognize good laws, distinguish justice from injustice, and understand the legitimate purposes and necessary limits of political power. The Bachelor of Arts in Political Science provides a solid foundation in American government, politics, history, and classical political thought.
Noah Jackson ’18 is a junior political science and honors humanities double major at Azusa Pacific University. Watch to see how Noah’s studies reminded him of God’s calling in his life.
Throughout the political science degree, students are encouraged to think about a Christian’s place in the political arena and the moral and ethical implications of controversial political issues. Political science majors leave APU equipped to play an informed, intelligent, and leading role in the affairs of their community, country, and world.
Download the Political Science Major Brochure to learn more about APU’s pathway from education to vocation, including graduate school and career opportunities.
The Department of History and Political Science prepares students who are able to:
- Explain the principles, purposes, and main features of American government.
- Explain the main features of international politics.
- Analyze the writing of major thinkers in the history of political philosophy.
- Articulate a Christian understanding of politics and government.
- Demonstrate ability to write and cite sources to professional standards within the discipline.
Is This Major Right for You?
You’re a political science major if you:
- Appreciate clear, cogent argument and persuasive rhetoric.
- Are persuasive and thrive on debate.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Like American history and learning about the legal system.
- Enjoy research.
Learn more about this major.
Thinking back to my days at APU, I never would have imagined the skills I acquired as a Political Science major would have such a profound effect on my career goals and aspirations. Between serving as an officer in the United States Army, to becoming a Foreign Service Officer at the Department of State, I have come to appreciate the principles and skills my professors at APU bestowed upon me. The curriculum within the History and Political Science Department was very rigorous, especially the high demands placed on my writing and research skills. Unbeknownst to me, those two skills would become incredibly important in my work with the federal government.
Note: This information is current for the 2021-22 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.