Where the APU Cornerstones Connect: Christ, Scholarship, Community, and Service
Academic service-learning is a teaching and learning method that promotes student learning through active participation in meaningful community service experiences directly related to course content. Our approach focuses on:
- Connecting theory to practice
- Critical reflective thinking
- Personal and civic responsibility
- Faith integration
- Relationship to planned vocation
The three distinctives that characterize service-learning at APU are that it is:
- Academic: Intentional and clear connection to the course learning outcomes and purposeful critical reflection throughout;
- Reciprocal: Active partnerships between faculty, community partners, and students as mutual beneficiaries and coeducators;
- Making a Difference: Outcomes of the project are evidenced through impact on community as well as student learning, civic understanding, goals, and faith development and application.
“Academic service-learning is the glue that connects knowledge with practice and people. Reading, reciting, and taking tests may evaluate knowledge, application, and integration, but academic service-learning expands those opportunities into situations with the practical problems of the workplace.”
The Carnegie Foundation selected APU as 1 of 119 institutions to receive the 2020 Community Engagement Classification. These 119 institutions join the 240 institutions that earned the classification during the 2015 selection process, for a total of 359 campuses that are active holders of this important designation. This distinction recognizes universities that demonstrate a high level of commitment to community service and service-learning.
Twitter: Stay Up to Date
Martin Rodriguez, Ph.D., APU assistant professor of practical theology, is passionate about creating spaces in the classroom, in churches, and in communities that foster learning, conversation, and hospitality. Watch his story. https://t.co/xEAJuGwuwV
APU graduate and professional students have access to APU Telehealth services with free, round-the-clock access to mental health support, counseling, medical visits, and health coaching. Learn more about these resources: https://t.co/XkSdcpcLcL