APU Admissions: What to Expect at Your Same-Day Admissions Event
When you’re applying to graduate school, one of the most challenging parts can be waiting to hear whether you’ve been accepted. It can feel like your future is on hold while you await the decision. By attending a same-day admissions event, you can streamline this process and start moving toward your advanced education and career goals.
A same-day Azusa Pacific University admissions event may be held in person or online via Zoom. You can meet with an APU admissions representative to review the admission requirements, complete your application and interview, and find out whether you’re conditionally admitted to your desired program—all within a few hours.
The Benefits of Attending a Same-Day Admissions Event
In addition to skipping the wait, reasons to attend a same-day admissions event include:
- Receive one-to-one guidance about the program you’re interested in, the APU admissions process, and the financial aid opportunities that may be available to you
- Speak directly with professors about the program experience
- Get answers to all of your questions in one session
- Benefit from a waiver of the $45 application fee
- Receive conditional acceptance on the same day you complete the application process, if approved
Additionally, some programs may waive one or more of their admissions requirements, such as a recommendation or essay.
If you’re interested in a graduate program at APU but aren’t quite ready to apply, you can still attend a same-day admissions event to learn more. This can be a great way to decide whether the program is a good fit for you.
How to Prepare for a Same-Day Admissions Event
Once you RSVP for an event, you’ll want to gather all the necessary documents. While requirements vary based on your program of interest, here are some examples of what you might need to ensure a smooth process:
- A current resume or CV (depending on your program)
- Unofficial copies of all of your transcripts up to and including your bachelor’s degree (or master’s degree for the School of Nursing)
- An undergraduate or professional writing sample (MS in Counseling Psychology)
- A critical essay or research paper (MA in English)
- A personal statement (Master of Social Work)
- The name and contact information for professional and/or academic references
The event includes an interview, so be prepared to talk about your academic and professional goals. If you’re applying to the School of Nursing, you’ll complete a real-time writing sample during the event that describes your educational objectives.
What Happens during a Same-Day Admissions Event
When you RSVP for your admissions event, you’ll choose a time slot. You should plan on spending a total of two to four hours at the event. Once you arrive, you’ll meet with an admissions representative to complete the application and interview.
When you’re finished working with the admissions representative, you’ll meet with a faculty member who will talk to you about the program, ask about your professional and academic goals, and give you a feel for life as a graduate student at APU. The faculty member will then review your application materials and let you know whether you’re conditionally accepted or if they need more time to review your application.
APU offers same-day admissions events for the following graduate programs:
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: MS in Biotechnology, MS in Applied Statistics and Data Science, MA in English, MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), TESOL Certification, and Teaching English as a Foreign Language Certification (TEFL)
- Department of Psychology: MS in Counseling Psychology: Child and Adolescent Specialization
- Department of Social Work: Master of Social Work (full-time and part-time options)
- Department of Higher Education: Doctor of Education (EdD) in Higher Education Leadership, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Higher Education
- School of Business and Management: MBA, MBM, Master of Public Administration, Master of Professional Accountancy, MA in Leadership, and MS in Organizational Psychology
- School of Nursing: Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), PhD in Nursing, Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) in Healthcare Administration and Leadership, and Master of Public Health (MPH)
What Happens after a Same-Day Admissions Event
If you’re conditionally accepted at the event, you will need to take a few steps before you’re officially accepted. You’ll need to provide official copies of your transcripts as well as recommendations, if your program requires them. If your program requires an essay or writing sample, that will be reviewed as well.
Once all of your materials have been considered, an APU admissions representative will follow up with you to answer any questions, connect you to your department, and request any additional information.
Once you’re officially accepted, APU admissions representatives and faculty will work with you to help you register for classes.
What to Do If You Can’t Attend an Admissions Event
APU schedules several same-day admissions events for each program, but if you’re not free when an event is scheduled, you can request information about the program you’re interested in. An admissions representative will contact you to schedule a one-on-one discussion.
Take the Next Step Toward Your Future
Eliminate the stress of waiting and attend an upcoming same-day admissions event at APU, where you can get your questions answered and know if you’re conditionally accepted within a few hours. Find out when the next event is scheduled for your program of study and RSVP today.
Posted: March 24, 2023