Gain Advanced Preparation to Impact Lives with an MSW Degree
Azusa Pacific University’s Master of Social Work program is designed to prepare you for a range of social work opportunities. Gain the foundational skills necessary for effective social work practice with a variety of employment options upon graduation. The MSW degree program includes full- and part-time options and focuses on developing skills through innovative classroom teaching and applied learning in a dynamic, community-based field internship.
Building on foundational skills, you will select one of two program specializations, including a variety of relevant electives, to design a curriculum that meets your specific interests. Leadership development is emphasized throughout the program and culminates with a capstone leadership experience.
- Clinical Practice with Individuals and Families
Receive advance training to meet the physical and behavioral health needs of individuals and families across a range of settings, emphasizing preparation for culturally responsive care and intervention, application of evidenced-informed interventions, and engagement with interprofessional teams.
- Community Leadership and Program Administration
Focus on developing the skills needed for effective leadership in nonprofit and governmental agencies; political advocacy, including program development and evaluation; organizational management; and human rights and sustainable development.
Elective Options and Global Learning Experience
Flexible elective options allow you to further customize your learning experience. Options include courses in marital therapy, practice with military populations, social work in correctional settings, grant writing and fiscal development, international social work, social work in healthcare settings, school based settings, and clinical Spanish practice to prepare bilingual students for effective cross-cultural clinical practice. Refer to the academic catalog for a complete list of courses.
International learning opportunities are also available as we seek to prepare leaders to impact the world.
Scholarships, Grants, and Traineeships to Support Your Education
For those interested in pursuing an MSW and seeking careers in this important service-based profession, several scholarship, grant, and traineeship opportunities are available. Learn more about these financial aid opportunities and how they can support your education and career goals.
APU’s MSW program offers students:
- A wide range of field internship opportunities in the Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Ventura counties.
- Diverse faculty with extensive professional and scholarship experience in a variety of social work settings.
- Strong clinical training with interprofessional knowledge base.
- Full- and part-time program options.
- Advanced Standing option (for graduates of CSWE-accredited BSW programs only).
- Coursework that meets the California Board of Behavioral Sciences prelicensure requirements.
- Professional leadership skills and development.
- Faith integration relevant to social work practice.
- Small classes to enable you to get to know peers and professors.
- International study opportunities.
To find out more about APU’s Master of Social Work, download the Master of Social Work Brochure (PDF).
Azusa Pacific University receives accreditation from the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). In addition, the MSW program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
The Master of Social Work program in the Department of Social Work at Azusa Pacific University seeks to develop competent advanced social work practitioners who can integrate the knowledge, values, and skills of social work to advance social justice and provide services to assist individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities. Grounded in the profession’s Code of Ethics and sensitivity to diversity, the MSW program is committed to excellence in our teaching and scholarship, the integration of faith and learning, the development of professional leadership, and the strengthening of communities in local, national, and international contexts.
The following outcome goals are derived from the mission statement and purposes of social work education congruent with accreditation standards:
- Graduates will exhibit competence in generalist and advanced social work practice with diverse individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities, including appropriate uses of supervision, consultation, and discernment, to seek necessary organizational change.
- Graduates will demonstrate knowledge, built on a liberal arts foundation, of the history of the social work profession and empirically supported theoretical frameworks that provide understanding of individual development and behavior across the lifespan and interactions among and between individuals and families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Graduates will demonstrate critical thinking skills, skills related to the effective integration of research in practice, and adequate preparation for leadership, advanced study, and lifelong learning.
- Graduates will demonstrate knowledge and skills to partner with communities to advocate for the development of policies and programs that seek to advance human rights and well-being, promote social and economic justice, empower clients, and respect diversity.
- Graduates will practice according to the values and ethics of the profession and understand the ethical integration of Christian faith in practice, including nondiscrimination in the areas of age, class, culture, color, disability, ethnicity, family structure, gender, marital status, national origin, race, religion, and sexual orientation.
- Faculty will engage in ongoing scholarship reflecting the goals and needs of professional social work practice.
Azusa Pacific University secured a place in the most prestigious category of U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges 2017 rankings, placing at No. 183 in Tier One of the National Universities category. In addition, The Princeton Review named APU as 1 of 124 institutions in the 2017 Best Colleges in the West, Forbes ranked APU among the best schools in the nation for 2017, and G.I. Jobs named APU a Military Friendly School for 2017, placing APU among the top 15 percent of schools in the country helping military students reach their education dreams.