Exceptional communication skills are necessary regardless of your career path. Employers seek outstanding oral and written communication skills, consistently ranking these skills as most important. People skills–including building relationships, making quality group decisions, helping others navigate difficult situations, managing and mediating conflict, and working in teams in culturally-diverse organizational settings–are relevant and desirable in all fields.
At APU, we emphasize the application of Christian truths and values to the study of communication theories and processes, consideration of ethical issues, and the mastery of current scholarship in each field. Our personable, caring, and top-notch faculty are devoted to helping students discern their calling and pursue it in whatever form that takes, whether that includes pursuing graduate studies, joining an organization after graduation, or launching an independent startup company.
To complement their studies, communication majors students can find internship opportunities in nearby Hollywood and downtown Los Angeles, where they gain hands-on experience and valuable contacts with companies such as the Walt Disney Co., Nordstrom, Warner Bros., K-EARTH 101 FM, KKLA, NBC, ESPN, Capitol Records, Universal Music, and more.
Pathway from Education to Vocation
Download the Communication Major Brochure to learn more about APU’s pathway from education to vocation, including graduate school and career opportunities.
Is This Major Right for You?
You’re a communication major if you:
- Enjoy interacting with and leading people.
- Desire to explore the science behind why people do what they do individually and socially.
- Seek to build and develop people and programs in your career options.
- Desire to become skilled at working with people across diverse cultures.
- Excel at building relationships, teams,^and effective processes.
- Enjoy fast-paced, challenging work environments.
- Want to help others work through conflict and come to mutually-beneficial solutions.