Get Ready to Teach with APU’s Social Science Major
APU’s social science major prepares students to educate others in the social dynamics that define our lives. The degree is designed primarily to prepare students to teach social science disciplines (particularly history, political science, geography, economics, and sociology) at the secondary level. The Bachelor of Arts in Social Science coursework provides a solid foundation in macro- and microeconomics, world civilizations, U.S. history, world geography, American government, comparative religions, psychology, and history and politics of the non-Western world.
The degree provides future teachers with an integrated study of these social sciences that will help develop analytical skill, comparative perspectives, critical judgment, and a thorough knowledge base about the world around them. Students integrate their study of social science with a Christian worldview, and evaluate each subject through a lens of biblical principles and ethics. Social science majors leave APU equipped to introduce their students to the social disciplines that characterize our world.
APU also offers a social science concentration for liberal studies majors.
Meet the Faculty: Verónica Gutiérrez
Pathway from Education to Vocation
Download the Social Science Major Brochure to learn more about APU’s pathway from education to vocation, including graduate school and career opportunities.
The Department of History and Political Science prepares students who are able to:
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the major events, ideas, and trends in American history.
- Describe and analyze the major events, ideas, and developments of world history.
- Explain the principles, purposes, and main features of American government.
- Articulate how a Christian worldview informs the study of history.
Is This Major Right for You?
You’re a social science major if you:
- Enjoy a particular social science subject.
- Enjoy working with young adults.
- Are good at explaining ideas and concepts to others.
- Enjoy studying how economic, political, and social arrangements can promote human flourishing
- Wish to go on to a teacher credentialing program.
Learn more about this major.
The professors in the social science department have taught me an entirely different way to make history come alive. Through the use of various types of media I have learned to tell the story of a time period or event in history. Between the professors’ interaction with each other and with students, I felt like I was part of a big family in my years at APU.
Note: This information is current for the 2019-20 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.