Cal Grants

Cal Grants for Professional Students

There are several types of Cal Grant awards. Each of the Cal Grants listed below are for students pursuing an undergraduate degree, such as an associate’s or bachelor’s, or an occupational training program. Students normally qualify for Cal Grant A or Cal Grant B Competitive Awards.

  • Cal Grant A Competitive Awards are for students with a minimum 3.0 GPA who are from low- and middle-income families. These awards help pay tuition and fees at qualifying schools with academic programs that are at least two years in length.
  • Cal Grant B Competitive Awards are for students with a minimum 2.0 GPA who are from disadvantaged and low-income families. These awards can be used for tuition, fees, and access costs at qualifying schools with programs that are at least one year in length. If you get a Cal Grant B Competitive Award, it can only be used for access costs in the first year. These costs include living expenses, transportation, supplies, and books. Beginning the second year, you can use your Cal Grant B Competitive Award to help pay tuition and fees at public or private four-year colleges or other qualifying schools.

Please note: The deadline for submitting your FAFSA and Cal Grant GPA verification information is March 2 prior to the beginning of the award year. APU recommends that you complete your FAFSA as soon as possible. You can follow up on your Cal Grant status and requirements through your WebGrants 4 Students account.

Cal Grants for Graduate Students

Cal Grant A and B

Students who received Cal Grant A and Cal Grant B as undergraduate students have 15 months to enroll in a teacher education program to renew this funding. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be filed and a Cal Grant Teaching Credential Application (G-44) (PDF) sent to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) to continue receipt of these funds.

Cal Grant B Access

The Cal Grant B Access award may allow up to $1,551 for the academic year. The Access Grant is designated for costs including living expenses, transportation, supplies, and books.

Azusa Pacific University policy is to transfer your eligible Access Grant award to your student account an apply it toward your outstanding balance.

You have the right to request, in writing, that your Access Grant be refunded to you, excluding it from paying the outstanding balance on your student account. If your award has transferred prior to your written request, APU will no longer apply the Access Grant to your outstanding balance for future disbursements.

Please note: An outstanding balance on your student account will prevent you from registering for future classes.

Who is Eligible to Apply?

  • Anyone who received at least one payment in the Cal Grant A or B program as an undergraduate.
  • Anyone who has received a bachelor’s degree, or completed all required coursework for their bachelor’s degree.
  • Anyone who has been accepted into and is enrolled in a professional teacher preparation program at a California Commission on Teacher Credentialing-approved institution within 15 months of the end of the term for which the recipient last received a Cal Grant payment.
  • Anyone who has not received or submitted an application for an initial Teaching Credential, such as a Preliminary or Clear Credential.
  • Anyone who maintains financial need for a Cal Grant renewal.

Eligibility Requirements from the California Student Aid Commission

Eligible graduate students must submit:

Full Menu