Multi-Ethnic Leadership Scholarship
About the Scholarship
Azusa Pacific University’s Student Center for Reconciliation and Diversity (SCRD) invites incoming first-year students to apply for the Multi-Ethnic Leadership (MEL) Scholarship.
The MEL Scholarship program equips students to be change agents in their spheres of influence through application of their Christian faith and commitment to social justice. MEL Scholars demonstrate an eagerness to practice self-reflection, to think critically in and outside of the classroom, and to advocate for others through service and leadership.
The scholarship is renewable, stackable, and only open to incoming first-year APU applicants. Scholarship recipients are awarded $11,000 per year ($5,500 per semester). The application (including essays and two reference forms) must be received by 11:59 p.m., Tuesday, February 15, 2022.
Qualifications and Selection Criteria
- Christian commitment
- Minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.2
- Demonstrate passion for promoting multicultural awareness and racial reconciliation
- Proven leadership skills (e.g., president of student council, youth group leader, club officer, etc.)
- Undergraduate admission to APU
Requirements and Expectations
- Active involvement (past and present) as an advocate for ethnic diversity, racial reconciliation, and multicultural awareness on campus
- Active participation in student leadership by sophomore year at APU
- Maintain GPA of 3.0 (cumulative per semester)
- On-campus residence every year for four years
- Active involvement in a local church
- One leadership studies course, as outlined in the leadership minor, and two diversity courses during four years at APU
- Participation in the required activities of the Multi-Ethnic Leadership program (meetings, retreats, workshops, conferences, etc.)
To apply for this scholarship, fill out the MEL Application Form online and enter contact information for the MEL Reference Form for a high school teacher and one additional nonfamily reference (e.g., school counselor, coach, leadership advisor, pastor). All application materials are due by 11:59 p.m., Tuesday, February 15, 2022.
If you are selected for the final round of interviews, you must be available for an on-campus or Skype interview February 18-March 1. Students will be notified of their application status by phone or email.
If you have any questions, contact Aaron Hinojosa, executive director, at (626) 815-6000, Ext. 3720, or email@example.com.