Vocāre: A Five-year Bachelor’s to Master’s in Pastoral Studies Program
Answer the call to serve others through ministry. Whether you are studying business, the arts, ministry, or another major, with Azusa Pacific University’s Vocāre program, you can work toward completion of a bachelor’s degree as well as a Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies in just five years, gaining the knowledge and skills to make an impact in a variety of ministry fields. There is also an option for completion of a bachelor’s degree and a Master of Divinity in just six years.
The Vocāre program allows you to complement your career interests with your passion for ministry. During the program, you will meet regularly with a cohort of peers and a Center for Vocational Ministry mentor as you discern your calling. Your mentor will also help advise you in your coursework plan as you prepare to apply for and transition to the M.A. in Pastoral Studies program.
- Integrate your passion for ministry with your major as you discern your calling.
- Benefit from one-on-one mentoring with an experienced ministry professional.
- Build key relationships and network with the broader community as you participate in ministry events.
- Get a head start on your master’s degree with opportunities to take 9 units during your undergraduate studies to apply toward the M.A. in Pastoral Studies program.
- Apply to Azusa Pacific Seminary with Advanced Standing your senior year and complete your master’s degree in one additional year.
- Benefit from the seminary’s alumni tuition discount for your master’s program.
Who Can Apply?
High school seniors, undergraduate transfer students, and current APU undergraduates are invited to apply to the Vocāre program.
High school senior with at least one of the following:
- Combined SAT score of 1250 or higher (Math/Critical Reading)
- Combined SAT score of 1875 or higher (Math/Critical Reading/Writing)
- Composite ACT score of 28 or higher
- Rank in the top 12 percent of your graduating class
- GPA of 3.5 or higher (on a 4.0 scale)
- Display high leadership capacity in a church, youth group, or spiritual community (pastor recommendation required)
Current APU students
- At least 15 hours of coursework at an accredited college or university1
- GPA of 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) in college-level work
- Apply to Vocāre using the online application form.
- Submit two recommendations
- Academic Recommendation: Someone who knows your academic abilities well; high school applicants should select a high school teacher, and those with at least 15 hours of college credit should choose a collegiate instructor.
- Pastor/Spiritual Mentor Recommendation: The second recommendation must be from a pastor or spiritual mentor who can attest to your aptitude and spiritual gifting towards pastoral ministry.
- Maintain eligibility throughout your undergraduate program
Upon acceptance into Vocāre, students must maintain a 3.0 or higher GPA, meet regularly with a Center for Vocational Ministry mentor, and attend cohort meetings and ministry-focused events.
- Apply to Azusa Pacific Seminary in the first semester of your senior year. Acceptance into Vocāre does not guarantee admission into the Seminary.
For more information on the program or application process, call (626) 387-5749 or email email@example.com.
- Fall deadline: October 15
- Spring deadline: February 15
Petition to Apply
If you do not currently meet the admission criteria, you may petition to apply to Vocāre. Please submit a letter via email to Jennifer Graffius at firstname.lastname@example.org that communicates why your vocational objectives, academic preparation, and intellectual character make you a strong candidate for admission into Vocāre. If your petition is approved, you will receive an invitation to apply.
- College students with less than 15 hours of college credit may apply using the high school senior eligibility criteria ↵