Prior Learning Assessment for Professional Students
To strengthen both the theoretical and practical aspects of the prior learning process, these support materials have been provided to assist you in understanding and developing skill in earning university credit for your experiences.
Apply for Prior Learning Credit
Review the presentations on this page to discover more about Prior Learning Assessment for professional students at APU and then submit each of the PLA forms with your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The presentations cover the concepts and theories that support prior learning. Understanding this information can be extremely useful to you in earning university credit for:
- Trainings you have previously completed, such as professional or technical training
- Writing Experiential Learning Essays (also called Kolb Essays) on university topics for elective credit
- PLA Statement of Learning Outcomes (Word document)
- PLA Petition for Academic Credit (Word document)
- Guidelines for Writing an Experiential Learning Essay (PDF)
- PLA Sample Essay: “Fundraising for a High School Theatre Program” (PDF)
What We Know About Adult Learning
- There is a strong link between experience and learning.
- Much of it can be autonomous and self-directed learning.
- It is relevancy-oriented learning and focused on the practical (i.e., the need to see the reasons for learning something).
- In adult learning, reflection is critical.