Students enrolled at APU must demonstrate intermediate proficiency in a foreign language. This proficiency requirement may be met by APU proficiency test, SAT, AP, CLEP, or FLATS test score, or completion of an APU language course numbered 102 or higher.
The Foreign Language Achievement Testing Service (FLATS) at Brigham Young University, a viable option for many students, offers tests for more than 50 languages. The tests for non-BYU students are pass-fail only and are available at APU for waiver only—not for course credit. The tests cover listening, reading, and grammar, are in multiple-choice format, and allow students two and a half hours to complete. Waivers are available for 101, 102, and 201 courses.
How to Take a FLATS Test
- Register at flats.byu.edu.
- On the top menu, click Online Tests
- Scroll down to “Register for a Test”
- Complete the FLATS Registration Form
- Pay for the test ($50 online fee)
- Check that all information is correct, and click Submit.
- Call the Learning Enrichment Center (LEC) at (626) 815-3849 to schedule a date and time to take the exam.
There is a proctor fee of $20 for the FLATS that can be paid on the day of the exam in cash or check.