Do I Need to Use ALEKS? When?
Students who need to use ALEKS are expected to begin using it as soon as possible after receiving their APU login information. Taking your first ALEKS assessment right away will leave you with plenty of time to try to improve your score and then to enroll in your first math class. All students who have not waived their GE Quantitative Literacy requirement are expected to take their first math class during their first semester at APU.
You Need to Use ALEKS if Any of the Following Are True
- You have met none of the criteria 1-12 below.
- MATH 165 Calculus I is required for your major or minor and you haven’t already received credit for it.
- You plan to take CHEM 151 General Chemistry I or to apply to a major in the School of Business and Management other than business management AND you have not satisfied any of the criteria 1-8 below or transferred in a grade of B- or higher in a college algebra course.
Criteria for Waiving the GE Quantitative Literacy Requirement
- New SAT Math (640 or higher)
- Old SAT Math (620 or higher)
- ACT Math (27 or higher)
- High School Calculus (semester grade of B or higher)
- High School Precalculus (semester grade of A- or higher)
- CLEP College Algebra, Precalculus, or Calculus (50 or higher)
- IB Mathematics (5, 6, or 7)
- AP Calculus AB or BC (3, 4, or 5)
- AP Statistics (3, 4, or 5)
- Transferred in college-level coursework fulfilling GE Quantitative Literacy requirement
- You will complete an Honors Humanities major
- You will earn a Bachelor of Music degree