Shape Contemporary Culture with a Degree in Philosophy
The philosophy major equips students to become intellectual leaders in conversations that shape contemporary culture. Do you feel energized when a conversation shifts to a discussion of big ideas? Do you care how ideas affect lives? If so, there is a good chance you have a philosopher’s mind and are well suited to the philosophy major.
APU’s philosophy program develops a community of scholars who are intellectually skilled, historically informed, and pragmatically oriented, and who embody the characteristics of APU’s Wesleyan Christian heritage: classical Christian orientation, sanctity of mind, sanctity of heart, and community-oriented service.
APU philosophy students are prepared for success in graduate studies and/or careers in philosophy, theology, healthcare ethics, law, civil service, public policy, education, and ministry.
Is This Major Right for You?
You’re a philosophy major if you:
- Are curious about other perspectives on life, religion, and the world.
- Find it fun to think hard and push yourself.
- Want to understand how to develop a sound worldview, from the ground up.
- Are gripped by the moral issues of our time.
- Prefer a career that values creative problem solving.
- Are considering graduate school in law, philosophy, pre-med, or ministry.
Learn more about this major’s coursework.
Note: This information is current for the 2020-21 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.