Serene flower bush

Get Help


APU encourages those who have experienced any form of sex discrimination to report the incident promptly, to seek all available assistance, and to pursue University disciplinary proceedings and, where applicable, criminal prosecution. APU takes complaints very seriously and will work with complainants to ensure their safety as much as possible and to remedy the situation. APU encourages those who have experienced or witnessed sex discrimination to report these offenses to the Title IX Coordinator, one of the Deputy Title IX Coordinators, the Department of Campus Safety, or to another Responsible Employee.

Upon receiving a report from a complainant, a Responsible Employee should make every effort to ensure that the Complainant understands (i) the Responsible Employee’s duty to report the allegation, including the name of the Complainant and Respondent, and the relevant facts (date, time, and location of the incident, and the known circumstances) to the Title IX Coordinator; (ii) the Complainant’s option to request confidentiality, which the Title IX Coordinator or designee will consider; and (iii) the Complainant’s ability to share the information confidentially with counseling, advocacy, health, mental health, or sexual-assault-related services who are not required to report the incident without the consent of the Complainant.

In cases where a report is made by a third-party, the Complainant will be notified by the Title IX Coordinator that a report has been received. The Title IX Coordinator or the Coordinator’s designee will meet with the Complainant to discuss the Complainant’s options and resources available inside and outside the University.

The University encourages reporting of sexual harassment, stalking, and sexual violence in writing, but reports may also be made orally, and will be reviewed and may be investigated when reported in either form. Prompt reporting helps preserve evidence and aids the University in taking preventative measures where appropriate. Prompt reports of sexual harassment, stalking, and sexual violence will be thoroughly reviewed under the oversight of the Title IX Coordinator, and provided there is sufficient information will be thoroughly investigated. Complaints of sexual violence that are not promptly reported should still be reported and will be investigated under these procedures if possible.

In addition to reporting the allegations to the Title IX Coordinator, a Deputy Coordinator, or another Mandated Responsible Employee, the complainant may elect to report the allegations to the police. While the University may delay its own investigation for a short period of time to accommodate a police investigation, a police investigation does not replace the University’s obligation to conduct its own investigation under the oversight of the Title IX Coordinator.

Once the responsible individual has received a complaint, he/she will immediately inform the Title IX Coordinator. The Title IX Coordinator or designee will then review and, when appropriate, initiate the investigation.

Please refer to the “Sexual Harassment” Under Title IX, and Other Instances of Sexual Misconduct Policy (PDF) for more information.

You can make a report with law enforcement, including:

On Campus

APU Campus Safety
(626) 815-5000

Off Campus

Azusa Police Department
(626) 812-3200

Glendora Police Department
(626) 914-8250

L.A. County Sheriff
(909) 599-1261

Regional Campuses
View the Regional Center Resources (PDF)

How to Report

Incident Report Form for Sexual Harassment, Sexual Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking

Use the following form to report an incident to Azusa Pacific's Title IX office. Please be sure to complete all fields. You may also contact one of our on-campus Title IX Coordinators or Deputy Coordinators to report abuse.

Confidential Resources

Those who have disclosed a sexual harassment, stalking, or sexual violence violation should know that university employees (residence directors, Campus Safety officers, staff members, faculty, etc.)— excluding University Counseling Center staff, Community Counseling Center staff, Student Health Center staff, and campus pastors, who may be bound by confidentiality standards—will report sexual conduct to the Title IX Coordinator.

All inquiries, complaints, and investigations are treated with discretion. Identity of the Complainant may be revealed to the respondent(s) of such conduct.

The university is committed to protecting the privacy of all individuals involved in a report of sexual harassment, stalking, and sexual violence violations. All university employees who are involved in the university’s Title IX response, including the Title IX Coordinator, Deputy Title IX Coordinators, investigators, and appeal review committee members, receive specific instruction about respecting and safeguarding private information. Throughout the process, every effort will be made to protect the privacy interests of all individuals involved in a manner consistent with the need for a thorough review of the report.

Confidentiality means that information shared by an individual with designated campus or community professionals cannot be revealed to any other individual without the express permission of the individual. These campus professionals include campus pastors, counselors from the University Counseling Center and Community Counseling Center, and health providers from the Student Health Center, all of whom have legally protected confidentiality. These individuals are prohibited from breaking confidentiality unless there is an imminent threat of harm to self or others. When a report involves suspected abuse of a minor under the age of 18, these confidential resources may be required by state law and University Policy to notify child protective services and/or local law enforcement, and the University Office of General Counsel.

Confidential resources cannot share identifying information about you without your written consent. Exceptions can be made in response to court orders, when child or elder abuse is involved, or if there are serious threats to hurt one’s self or others.

Confidential resources include:

University Counseling Center
(626) 815-2109

Student Health Center
(626) 815-2100

Spiritual Life
(626) 815-3855

Community Counseling Center
(626) 815-5421

Life Assistance Program by Cigna (for employees)
24/7 hotline: (800) 538-3543

Private resources are required to report incidences to the APU Title IX Coordinator. Other university departments may also be involved as a means to help survivors or protect the campus community. Among APU’s offices and departments, most offer privacy, NOT confidentiality, to those who report abuse.

Medical Treatment

Hospitals work to respond with care to persons involved in sexual assaults, and will work with persons regarding notification of law enforcement or other authorities. Be aware that not all facilities will be able to facilitate the PERK process for evidence gathering.

Student Health Center
(626) 815-2100

Queen of the Valley Hospital (West Covina) – SART available
(626) 962-4011

Foothill Presbyterian Hospital (Glendora)
(626) 963-8411

Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center (Pomona) – SART available
(909) 865-9500

  • Go to a safe place and contact a friend or choose from APU’s list of contacts.
  • If possible, do not change clothes, shower, bathe, or brush your teeth. If you do, place clothing in a paper bag and take with you to the hospital.
  • Go to a local Medical Center for a forensic Physical Evidence Recovery Kit (PERK) exam even if you think you do not have any injuries. Having a PERK examination will ensure there are no internal injuries and help address any possible health issues. The Student Health Center cannot do a PERK exam, but can provide Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) testing.
  • You can have a PERK exam even if you do not make a police report. You will not be responsible for the cost of the exam.
  • If you think you want to make a report to police, the hospital will do a forensic exam to collect evidence, and can do a drug screen if you think you may have been drugged.
  • If you wish to contact the police, the Department of Campus Safety have advocates who are available to go with you to make the report.
  • View additional information about your reporting options.



Many medical and support services are available to you free of charge or at a nominal cost. If you are concerned about medical costs and/or need financial assistance, contact the Student Health Center. Don’t let cost stop you from getting the support you need.

The Department of Campus Safety is on East Campus, on the first floor of Smith Hall. Contact Campus Safety at (626) 815-5000.

Azusa Pacific encourages anyone who has been a victim of a crime to report to the police. You may have mixed feelings about whether or not to report. You may feel torn about not wanting to do anything and wanting to hold this person responsible so that he or she does not hurt you or anyone else again. You have the option of having an advocate go with you. If you report a sexual assault that occurred on the APU campus, Campus Safety will process the report, provide assistance, and offer related services to support your safety and wellbeing.

If the crime occurred in another jurisdiction, Campus Safety can assist you in accessing assistance in that jurisdiction. If you choose to report to the police, an officer will want to sit with you and ask detailed questions about what, where, when, and how the incident occurred. Many of these questions may be hard to answer and may feel invasive. The police officer will try to get as much information as possible so that he or she can thoroughly investigate the case. If the assault occurred within the past 72 hours, you will also have the option of having a Physical Evidence Recovery Kit (PERK) exam done at the hospital. The police will also interview any other witnesses (this often includes the perpetrator).

Once the police have investigated the case, they will present the evidence to the District Attorney’s office, who will then decide if there is enough evidence to go to court. You have the right to share with the police what you would like to happen during a police investigation.

The Clery Act requires APU’s Department of Campus Safety to provide crime alerts to the community when they learn of a crime that constitutes an ongoing or continuing serious threat to the university community. If a crime alert is issued, your name and personally identifying information will not be released; however, pertinent details about the crime may be released. If you have a question about a crime alert, contact the Department of Campus Safety.

Limited Immunity

The University understands that reporting parties sometimes are hesitant to report because they fear that they themselves may be charged with policy violations, such as underage drinking at the time of the incident.

To encourage reporting, the university pursues a policy of offering reporting parties (and witnesses) limited immunity from being charged with policy violations related to the particular incident. While violations to policy cannot be completely overlooked, the university will in some circumstances recommend sanctions directed toward education and prevention rather than more punitive forms of disciplinary action

Call 911 and then immediately notify the Department of Campus Safety at (626) 815-5000 so that you can obtain medical care right away. If you ask a friend to take you to the nearest hospital, advise the hospital staff that you believe you have been drugged. Ask the hospital to take a urine sample to test for drugs that you didn’t purposely ingest. Tell the staff that you would like them to also test for GHB and Rohypnol in addition to the standard drug screening. Some drugs leave your system quickly. If possible, don’t urinate before going to the hospital.

If you believe you have been sexually assaulted, don’t urinate, douche, bathe, brush your teeth, wash your hands, change clothes, eat, or drink before you go to the hospital. These things may provide evidence of a non-consensual sexual intercourse. The hospital will use a special kit to collect evidence. Call the police from the hospital. Once the police arrive, tell the police exactly what you remember. Be honest about all your activities. Remember, nothing you did — which may include drinking alcohol — can justify non-consensual sexual intercourse.

If you do not want the police involved but want to have the incident documented, you may contact Department of Campus Safety and they will assist you in documenting the incident and arranging for counseling if you wish.

Listen and believe your friend. Assure them what happened wasn’t their fault and keep the information private. For more information on how to help a friend, see Get Involved.