Learn to Bring Stories to Life with an Animation Degree
Animation is one of the most popular and effective mediums for telling stories in film, television, and multimedia in our world today. Azusa Pacific University's Bachelor of Arts in Animation and Visual Effects will prepare you to make a difference in a creative and growing industry. Learn to bring characters, creatures, and objects to life in stories you create in this animation degree program with classes covering animation’s many facets, and cultivate your narrative techniques with a comprehensive cinematic arts curriculum. Learn in a small classroom environment under caring faculty-mentors who work in animation and entertainment, and take advantage of strategic internships in the industry.
Gain Experience Working in Nearby Los Angeles
The greater Los Angeles area has the highest employment for animation in the world, and APU’s location offers the opportunity to immediately plug into the filmmaking culture and industry. The Department of Cinematic Arts boasts a strong network of alumni working at major studios, television networks, and agencies, including Walt Disney Studios and DreamWorks Animation. Each animation student will complete at least one internship, providing valuable hands-on experience.
- Gain access to APU’s state-of-the-art animation and gaming lab as well as other campus facilities, like a green screen and soundstage, to bring your ideas to life.
- Participate in the annual CTN Animation Expo in Burbank, where more than 6,000 professional animators, animation studio executives, recruiters, and art students gather for presentations, workshops, demonstrations, and networking.
- Fully engage questions about the interplay between faith, culture, and the arts.
- Develop and hone your skills in a program that includes comprehensive animation and drawing courses, as well as courses in storytelling and the cinematic arts.
- Benefit from proximity to the entertainment hub of Los Angeles, which translates to professional industry guest speakers and adjunct professors who are actively working on exciting projects in the field.
- Enjoy belonging to a creative and collaborative community of graphic designers, actors, singers, musicians, and filmmakers.
- Produce a short 2D or 3D animated film as your capstone project in addition to your professional portfolio.
- Present your work in the year-end student film showcase with industry executives and producers in attendance (juniors and seniors only).
Explore Faith and Influence Culture
Pursuing a major in APU’s College of the Arts means exploring the intersection of faith and the arts with diverse individuals, fully engaging in various media to tackle some of life’s most complex questions. Learn from faculty with experience living out their Christian faith in the industry as they offer wisdom and mentorship, and create bonds with like-minded students pursuing artistic careers. “Those who tell the stories rule society,” said Plato. At APU, you will find a thriving community of creative students and faculty sharing the goal of becoming great artists who can influence the entertainment industry, and in turn, culture, through stories about beauty, redemption, and what it means to be human.
Prepare for Animation Careers
In the final year of your animation degree program, several courses focus on preparing you as a competitive candidate for animation positions. The Capstone Project in Animation allows you to integrate the concepts learned throughout the program to create a short 2D or 3D animated film with original sound and content. A specific course, Portfolio Review and Preparation, will teach you how to present your work in the best possible light through opportunities for peer and professional review.
What Can You Do With a Degree in Animation and Visual Effects?
Not only is the animation industry growing, but it’s lucrative. Learn what you can do with a degree in animation and visual effects.
Is This Major Right for You?
You’re an animation and visual effects major if you…
- Are passionate about telling stories
- Are always sketching or drawing characters and creatures
- Enjoy creating characters and worlds
- Love watching animated movies and television shows
- Enjoy creative environments
- Have technical abilities with creative software