Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find a list of guidelines and employment policies for student employees?

Student employees are responsible for reviewing the information in the Student Employment Handbook (PDF). If you have additional questions, please contact the Office of Student Employment at (626) 815-6000, Ext. 3558 or email

How many hours can I work per week as a student employee?

Student employees may work up to 29 hours per week. International students may work up to 20 hours per week. Additional hours may be offered at the department’s request when school is not traditionally in session (i.e., summer, Christmas and mid-semester break). View the complete policy in the Student Employment Handbook.

As a student employee, how do I change or update my address, email, or telephone number?

Student employees will need to follow two steps: Complete an Address and Phone Number Change Request Form (MS Word) and submit it to the Office of Student Employment. Then, log in to and change the information online. Both actions must be taken in order for the information to be changed in both the student and the employment channels.

When is payday?

Student employees are paid on a bi-weekly pay period. View the Bi-Weekly Payroll Calendar: January–December 2018 (PDF) for a list of dates.

Can I have my paychecks automatically deposited into an account at my bank or credit union?

Yes. We encourage you to take advantage of APU’s direct deposit service. To apply, please complete the Employee Direct Deposit Enrollment Form (PDF) and attach a voided check or authorization from your bank/financial institution. Submit the form to the Office of Student Employment.

I received notification that my Respect and Esteem training certification has expired, what do I need to do?

Respect and Esteem training is a re-certification that needs to be updated every two years. If you’ve been notified that you are due to retake the training, please complete the online training.

Participating in the training is paid time. A copy of the completion certificate must be printed and delivered to the Office of Student Employment. Your supervisor may also require a copy of your certificate for verification of completion.