Specialize in English Language Learning with APU's TESOL Certification
The Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) prepares post-baccalaureate students who desire specialized skills in TESOL but do not wish to pursue the graduate degree. The six-course certificate offers broad exposure to the field of TESOL, focusing on teaching speaking, listening, reading, writing, and grammar skills, along with an overview of language learning and intercultural communication. Ideal for supplementing and enhancing traditional ministry (e.g., translation, literacy, and friendship evangelism) within multicultural or cross-cultural environments, this TESOL certification program incorporates work which may lead to a Master of Arts in TESOL, for those who choose to continue in pursuit of the master’s degree.
Three convenient formats are available: on campus, online, and field-based. The on-campus program maintains an international focus with many students coming from abroad to take classes on the Azusa campus. The field-based program is tailored to meet the needs of Christian professionals teaching abroad. Full-time teachers working outside the United States complete their program by taking courses in an intensive, one-week format.
Graduates of APU's TESOL programs are currently serving both internationally and in the U.S.—in public schools, colleges and universities, private institutes, and businesses. Others have gone on to complete doctoral work in such fields as applied linguistics, international education, or intercultural studies.
Certificate Program Highlights
- APU's TESOL certificate program combines compassionate Christian service with strong academic and practical preparation for language teaching.
- Students gain specialized skills in TESOL and credit which may be applied toward an M.A. in TESOL.
- Situated in the greater Los Angeles area, APU’s location provides students in the on-campus program exposure to a diverse linguistic and multicultural experience.
- The online and field-based programs provide options for students to study TESOL from any location around the globe.
- Certificate holders are qualified for volunteer and entry-level English language teaching positions, both stateside and abroad.
Learn more about our faculty.
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Accreditation
Azusa Pacific University receives accreditation from the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
Azusa Pacific University secured a place in the most prestigious category of U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges 2017 rankings, placing at No. 183 in Tier One of the National Universities category. In addition, The Princeton Review named APU as 1 of 124 institutions in the 2017 Best Colleges in the West, Forbes ranked APU among the best schools in the nation for 2017, and G.I. Jobs named APU a Military Friendly School for 2017, placing APU among the top 15 percent of schools in the country helping military students reach their education dreams.