Common Benefits Questions

I am a Post-9/11 GI Bill® recipient. How much Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) will I receive?

Please contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) 442-4551 or use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool to find out how much you will receive in Basic Housing Allowance. The VA pays BAH based on the location where you complete the majority of your classes and only the VA can determine your eligibility. Note that BAH is paid only to Post-9/11 GI Bill® recipients. Additionally, active duty servicemembers and spouses of active duty servicemembers using transferred benefits are not eligible for BAH.

I am a Post-9/11 GI Bill® recipient. Will I receive BAH if I am not a full-time student?

You will receive less BAH if you are not enrolled full-time. Additionally, you must be enrolled more than half-time to receive any BAH at all. Note that BAH is paid only to Post-9/11 GI Bill® recipients.

I am a Post-9/11 GI Bill® recipient, and I am also receiving federal, state, or institutional financial aid (i.e., Pell Grant, APU Support Grant, student loans, etc.). Can I receive a refund from this additional aid?

Yes, refunds are available for various financial aid awards. When the financial aid award disburses into your student account, it will be applied toward your outstanding balance. If your financial aid exceeds your outstanding balance, you can request a refund of the excess. After the VA has sent the tuition payment to APU, you can then request a refund for the remaining financial aid funds that were originally applied to your balance.

To request a refund, contact the appropriate area to begin the process:

Do I have to pay the VA back?

There are instances in which you may incur a debt to the VA. This typically occurs when you drop a course after the add/drop date, or if you receive a “W” in a course.

Do I have to submit a Certification Request Form every semester?

Yes, you must submit a Certification Request Form for every semester that you wish to use your education benefits. Use the appropriate form below:

When should I submit my Certification Request Form?

You should submit a Certification Request Form after you have enrolled in courses for that term. APU cannot certify you for courses that you plan to take; we can only certify you for courses you are enrolled in. It is in your best interest to submit your Certification Request Form as soon as possible after you have enrolled in courses.

What can I expect when I submit a Certification Request Form?

When you submit a Certification Request Form online, you can expect to receive a confirmation reply via email within 48 hours. Once your certification has been processed, you will receive an automated email from VA-ONCE, which is the system we use to submit your certification to the VA. If for any reason we cannot move forward with your request, you will receive an email explaining what we need from you in order to move forward. It is important that you check your APU email regularly.

I've added or dropped a course. What should I do?

If you make a change to your enrollment, you must notify us right away at

Can I be certified for courses that do not apply to my degree program?

No. The VA will only pay for courses that apply to the student’s degree program.

I am a Chapter 1606, 30, or 35 recipient. Will the VA send a tuition payment directly to the university?

No, these VA entitlements do not send payment to the university directly. Instead, you will receive a monthly stipend sent directly to you. Note that, while you can use your stipend to help pay your tuition and fees, the amount of the stipend is typically not enough to pay your entire balance.

I am unsure which VA benefit I should apply for. What do I do?

To obtain more information about the various VA entitlements and see what you may qualify for, please call the VA’s education hotline at (888) 442-4551.

How do I apply for VA education benefits?

Visit to apply for VA education benefits.

Badge: Military Friendly School