Student Privacy Rights

The Right to Inspect

The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the university receives a request for access.

Students should submit a Request to Inspect and Review Educational Records (PDF) form to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official. The form must identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The university official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the university official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

The Right to Amend

The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of privacy rights.

Students may ask the university to amend such records. They should write the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of privacy rights. If the university decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the university will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

The Right to Consent

The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests.

A “school official” is (1) a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); (2) a person serving on the Board of Trustees; (3) a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks; or (4) a person employed by or under contract to the university to perform an assigned task on behalf of the university.

A school official has a “legitimate educational interest” if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility whenever he or she is (1) performing a task that is specified in his or her job description or contract agreement; (2) performing a task related to a student’s education; (3) performing a task related to the discipline of a student; (4) providing a service or benefit relating to the student or student’s family (such as health care, counseling, job placement, or financial aid); or (5) disclosing information in response to a judicial order or legally issued subpoena. Another exception is that the university can disclose education records without consent to officials of another school at which a student seeks enrollment or intends to enroll, upon request of officials of that other school.

The Right to File a Complaint

The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605

Note: This information is current for the 2023-24 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.

Full Menu