Doctoral Admission Requirements
Required Application Materials
All the application materials listed below must be submitted to the International Center. Once an application is complete, the department of study will carefully review it and an admission decision will be made. There are intensive programs and regular term programs.
- Graduate application for admission
- $45 nonrefundable application fee
- A letter to the dean
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of experience or résumé
- Official university transcripts (Please see the Transcript Policy below.)
- Official TOEFL (100 iBT M.A./M.S.) or IELTS (8.0 M.A./M.S.) score
- Conditional Admission is not available for doctoral programs. Students are required to submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores regardless of previous programs of study.
- A bank statement or other official forms of documentation of financial support must accompany the financial statement and affidavit of financial support (PDF) form. (Please see tuition and fees.)
- Copy of passport
Note: Additional program-specific items are required to complete the graduate application. These must be submitted to the International Center as well.
Applicants are required to submit official transcripts for all degrees, certificates, and credentials earned. Official transcripts for other college coursework not leading to a degree, certificate, or credential may be required by the department for consideration.
An official transcript is one which Azusa Pacific University receives unopened in an envelope sealed by the former institution and which bears the official seal of the college or university. APU reserves the right to require transcripts sent directly from the former institution. The baccalaureate degree transcript is required even if an applicant has already earned a master's degree.
An APU degree and earned credits can be verified by the International Center without applicants requesting an official transcript through the APU Registrar’s office.
Official international credentials (transcripts, certificates, diplomas, and degrees) must be submitted in their original language and also must be translated into English. The translated documents must be certified by an authorized official.
Once filed, transcripts are subject to the provisions of applicable federal and state laws and regulations, and cannot be returned to the applicant or forwarded to other educational institutions.
A minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 US scale is required for all international applicants. Some programs require a high GPA. Please review the program-specific items.
Additional Test Requirements
Other test score reports (GMAT, GRE, or CBEST) may be required for certain programs. Please review the program-specific items.